Headphone and turntable
Aug 29, 2013 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

graphic

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm new to audiophile world, now I'm listening music through headphone setup, I'd love to have a turntable but don't know whats required and how to set up
I know these are dumb questions...don't laugh at me...

my current setup:
headphone, tube amp and a DAC

what do I need to listen vinyl through my headphone? I need  a phono stage right? or anything else?

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 8
Heya,

What DAC are you using? And what turntable are you looking at? Some turn tables can go directly to your amp. Some can feed to your DAC. Totally depends on the turntable and the setup you want to use. Need more information from you on specific equipment.

Very best,

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #4 of 8
Heya,

The Rega RP1 is entry level and quite good. It has RCA stereo output. The Bifrost cannot accept that (it has signal coaxial, USB and optical only, no analog inputs). Also note, you don't need a DAC when using a turn-table since there's no digital signal to convert (this is the point of getting vinyl for most users by the way, to have zero digital signal and keep it strictly analog). Anyways you won't be using your Bifrost with a turn table like this.

You can plug the RP1 directly into your Woo's inputs. Or you can get a phono pre-amp to generate a line level output to your Woo.

Very best,

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks a lot Mal, again sorry for the noob questions, just want to double check here so I don't need to buy anything extra like a phono preamp? Just hook turntable to my WA6 that's it?

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Thanks a lot Mal, again sorry for the noob questions, just want to double check here so I don't need to buy anything extra like a phono preamp? Just hook turntable to my WA6 that's it?

Heya,

You probably need a phono pre-amp, even for the headphone amp. I'm sure it will work without the pre-amp, but it may not be optimal and may require you run the volume on that Woo near maximum, so no over-head and probably not a well controlled signal. So an inexpensive phono pre-amp would be my suggestion if you plan on going turn-table.

Very best,

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 8
MalVeauX is right you will definitely need a RIAA  pre-amp . This was decided in the US one of the reasons being when the master was made to compensate for the different levels of the low frequency and the high frequency and the equipment used at the time. If you just feed it in you wont like what you hear it will be all one sided-apart from the 1KHZ region . A pre amp is a must have item . I like the Rega company I have their original RB300 arm which I bought in 84. As somebody starting off in vinyl you got it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back