headphone and micro for gaming
May 21, 2019 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

New Head-Fier
Hi all.
I read a little of the subject here and i understand some explanation but not all (i m french and my english is ok but not very good.
I see the tuto and if i understand well for under 400€ the best headphone in competitive is the AKG 701 or the 712 pro who are little less good but more confortable. So i choose the AKG 712 pro.
But now i need to choose all the other thing and i m totaly loose.

I was thinking to a Steinberg UR12 for ampli and a Shure SM58 LC for the micro. Are they good choice? Do i need something else for make work all of that pls?

May 21, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 7
Vive La France.
The Steinburg UR Audio Interface provide zero headphone surround sound function..
If the game your playing comes with a built in headphone surround sound function, that surround sound can pass thru the Steinburg, to the headphones.
Have you check out the Massdrop/AKG K7XX headphones, it might (guessing) provide the same surround sound, as the AKG 701/712, but for a cheaper price.

May 21, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for your answer.

Well i want to play to FPS game (fortnite, battlefield, COD) but also to other game like Total war,... So which ampli can i choose? Are they necessary for that kind of headphones?
No and i don't know it. Tbh i read a lot of compliment for the 701/712 and that price was not a problem for me. But i found the same price for the two. In france i found the AKG 712 pro for 230€. And more or less the same for the massdrop.

Edit : And finaly i think to choose a modmic. Probably more simple to instal and it seems to be a good product

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 7
In case you haven't noticed, there's also a new release coming soon that's Massdrop X Koss gaming headset. They call it this GMR-54X-ISO. Price is reasonable at $40 USD. check it out maybe?

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 7
The modmic is alright. I use a v4 Modmic and I am looking to replace it. It doesnt stick to headphones very well. I was using it conjunction with the Shure SRH750DJ's. It also makes it hard to be portable since you have 2 cables to manage. The modmic cable is quite long.

Ive been looking for something like the VMODA Crossfade wireless headphones with the boom mic option so everything can be inline, 1 cable to manage, and portable.

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 7
The modmic is alright. I use a v4 Modmic and I am looking to replace it. It doesnt stick to headphones very well. I was using it conjunction with the Shure SRH750DJ's. It also makes it hard to be portable since you have 2 cables to manage. The modmic cable is quite long.

Ive been looking for something like the VMODA Crossfade wireless headphones with the boom mic option so everything can be inline, 1 cable to manage, and portable.

I heard about it being troublesome to stay on too but the thing is, then did you resolve that and get it to stick in the end? And without leaving like tape residue or anything?

Jun 1, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 7
I heard about it being troublesome to stay on too but the thing is, then did you resolve that and get it to stick in the end? And without leaving like tape residue or anything?

No, it stuck initially and fell off shortly after. It never stuck again. I actually created a mount so it could stand up on my desk instead of being attached to my headphones. The Shure SRH750DJ's have very smooth plastic that the magnet should stick to with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back