Headphone amps with speaker out
Nov 1, 2016 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shortstuff

Head-Fier
So I need a headphone amp that can also drive a pair of speakers. Or maybe one that can be used as a preamp that will drive a cheap power amp but I would rather an all in one solution.

I have some AE satellite speakers so I only need a few watts, and its just for youtube etc nothing too loud.

But I do need them as I get headphone fatigue after 30 mins or so with the X2's.

Any suggestions please? Unsure of budget, well under £1k.

Thanks

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 7
  So I need a headphone amp that can also drive a pair of speakers. Or maybe one that can be used as a preamp that will drive a cheap power amp but I would rather an all in one solution.

I have some AE satellite speakers so I only need a few watts, and its just for youtube etc nothing too loud.

But I do need them as I get headphone fatigue after 30 mins or so with the X2's.

Any suggestions please? Unsure of budget, well under £1k.

Thanks

For an excellent budget integrated amp that happens to have a good headphone amp section, I would highly recommend the Onkyo A-9010. It's a steal at £200 or so, well under 1K.

They no longer make them, but Audio-gd used to produce the Precision 1 & 2 amps - with excellent speaker and headphone amp sections. If you can get one on the cheap, they're hard to beat. 

You can also take a look at this old thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/567608/integrated-amplifiers-and-preamplifier-with-good-great-or-excellent-headphones-output-contribute-to-a-list-of-amps

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 7
I forgot to mention size.

Currently I have a yamaha a-s700, the one below the a-s2000 listed on that thread. It is too big. I need something small. Otherwise I would keep it as it sounds excellent.

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 7
Check out the TEAC AI-301DA. I've got one hooked up at work (not mine, product demo) to an old pair of Polk bookshelves and a PSB sub and it's really impressive. Even without the sub, it isn't bad. I borrowed it and brought it home for a week or so and used it with my Klipsch RB51's and it sounded really good. Didn't try the headphone out, so not sure how good it is, but if it's anywhere near the powered sound output, you won't be disappointed.

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 7
You could pick up a used Oppo HA1 and use it as a very capable pre amp going into a cheaper emotvia power amp. There are some quality used power amps to be had in the 2-300 dollar range. I've owned older bryston and classe power amps in that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back