Headphone amps w/remote control ?
Dec 19, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #16 of 39
My SS-1 has a remote. Though it only fiddles with the "fun" section.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #18 of 39
- the TADAC has a remote control with a very good volume control, but there is no power and source inputs control
- The Yaqin MS-6V6 also has a remote control, but the volume control increase way too much to be useful. I guess the same problem applies to the rest of their line of amps with remote control (el34, 300B..)

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #22 of 39
DIY amps can now have an open-source LCD based volume control
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/lcd...cessor-447607/

use any handheld IR remote (sony currently; but others to be included in a software update) and control a bunch of different volume control 'engines' (burr-brown PGA chip and other types).

testing it out on my M3:

3960703487_399cea74cd.jpg

I could not live without a remote control
wink.gif
it also doubles as a preamp and does many many more things (again, its all user-programming in open-source firmware).

there's also a mode where you can use 'just' a motor pot and no display:

3875427675_544c05ae26.jpg

it uses the same software base but you configure it to not write to the lcd that isn't there (lol).

input port selector also possible with this arrangement. port names can be real names (if lcd) or just leds if running without an lcd display.

its a shame more boxes aren't designed around remote control.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see the Grace m902 has a remote control, are there any others?
Thanks!

Sugden Headmaster (Sugden Audio - Bijou Series) - I'm not sure if it's still manufactured.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #25 of 39
The Audiotailor Jade can be ordered with a remote, but it is a special order that takes longer to build because they have to use a larger chassis to have enough room for the remote. I was quoted $27 or $40 by Joe at Audiotailor to add the remote to the Jade (depending on the quality of the volume control).

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #26 of 39
the audio gd one reminds me of the ancient audio alchemy metal remote they sold with the DLC (digital line controller).

good strong remotes are so hard to find these days.

even harder: actual ergonomic remotes. almost always, the remotes are configured as a simple matrix of buttons and no real thought to how the hand holds the remote, the arc of fingers and so on.

manuf's often go for 'easy' rather than smart, when it comes to remotes. such a shame.

but the metal ones at least are a step above the cheap plastic button grids.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by danne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Im not misstaken the Lavry DA11 supports remote controll use aswell, even do I dont think the remote it self is included? (not sure)

Hi,

The Lavry DA11 responds to a "universal remote". Such remotes can be found at various price ranges, from under $10 at Radio Shack to way over over $100 at specialty outlets. The features controlled by the remote are:
Volume up and down
Mute
PIC (tm)

The PIC is "Playback Image Control". One can control left only, right only and both left and right channels. Information regarding setting the remote and controlling the PIC(tm) is in the product manual.

It is worth noting that the remote does not have anything to do with sound quality.

Regards
Dan Lavry

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #29 of 39
I don´t see much use. I mean most often your cd player have a remote already if you use that. If you are on a computer you have your mouse handy. PS 3 is awful as a media player due to creation distortion when you adjust volume that is the only system where it would be handy I suppose
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #30 of 39
using computer to vary volume could be at the truncated spdif level (which affects sound quality). sometimes the computer does send 'vol control change events' to the dac and the dac does whatever it is designed to do, for vol control (could be good or not good).

if the dac redithers, that's probably as good as the analog (final) stage method. but not all do that and so its often 'safer' just to do it in the analog domain.

its also a good idea to run your analog wires 'hot' for as long as possible and attenuate at the receiving end. if your dac is doing attenuation and then sending that along to an amp, that amp now has less signal to amplify and that's never a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back