Headphone amps vs Digital Home Theater Receivers for music...
Apr 13, 2007 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

isamu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I'm curious to know what you guys think of digital home theaters, the likes of Yamaha, Onkyo, etc vs headphone amps for headphone music listening? I mean, there are some fairly expensive receivers out there from Denon, Yamaha etc, but man can they push some power! I own a Yamaha receiver(RXV-493 10 years old) and when running from my PC sound card or my Creative Nomad DAP it sounds delicious!

I've never heard a dedicated headphone amp before so I'm curious if it sounds on par with digital ht receivers. Are digital HT receivers considered amps? Do they have their own DACs inside them? What kind of DACs are usually contained in the higher end Yamaha/Onkyo/Denon ones?

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 5
Generally speaking, A/V Receivers skimp on the headphone jack, one because it cuts costs for the manufacturer, and two because most people lack the headphones (and ears) required to notice a difference when they try a dedicated headphone amp.

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generally speaking, A/V Receivers skimp on the headphone jack, one because it cuts costs for the manufacturer, and two because most people lack the headphones (and ears) required to notice a difference when they try a dedicated headphone amp.

How do you know this for sure?

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you know this for sure?

Well, in my case, several thousand dollars of good equipment, nearly 50 years of trained ears, and the ability to read schematics.

Yep, I'm pretty sure.

But there are others here who have better ears, have spent several 10's of thousands of dollars, and can build and have built equipment based on schematics they have drawn themselves.

They are pretty damn sure.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back