Headphone amps question
Sep 2, 2003 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sgraphics

Head-Fier
Ok I can see that if I want to run any decent headphones I should run them with an amp.

What does it mean?

I can see headphone amps for sale.. and they are usually very expensive.

I know that if I run decent headphones from my small CD player.. a very lousy sound comes out. But when i plug them into my aplifier (4x50 aiwa aplifier for loudspeakers ofcourse) there is a tremendous difference. But is my amplifier enough to run for example the hd-600 (or whatever decent headphone).. How much does the headphone jack on my amplifier amplify compared to headphone amps? Do I need an extra HEADPHONE amp?

Actually I didnt know there were headphone amps before I came here. Can anyone enlighten me on the subject.

Sep 2, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 5
The headphone jack on your Aiwa amplifier probably has plenty of power to drive a pair of HD-600s to ear shattering levels.......HOWEVER.......it's the quality of the power that is often questionable. The headphone jack on most modern consumer level amps, receivers, and mini-systems is usually an afterthought by the designer. A dedicated headphone amp has one purpose......to drive headphones. Believe me, there is a difference, and depending on the headphone amp, that difference can be HUGE! Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2003 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks!

What if I get some help and make an amp on my own? Is this doable and if yes then what are some of most expensive parts I have to buy for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back