Headphone Amps in 2001
Oct 10, 2008 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

NightWoundsTime

A nice hunk of young man
Google today has a link to an emulated search engine using their "oldest available index", from 2001. Did a search for "Headphone Amp" and the results were pretty amusing.

The first result is for the "Headbanger Headphone Amp". "You can build a high-quality portable amplifier to boost the output of Sony's MiniDisc portables. All parts are available at Radio Shack."

The second result is a Headwize project. Third is a page of consumer reviews of the classic Earmax amplifier. Fourth is an AA post about the Creek OBH-11, asking: "My PS Audio predecessor (Arcam Alpha 5) apparently had a very good headphone jack. What are the chances that this OBH11 is better?". The first responder points him towards a Meier Corda.

Amazing how far we've come in 7 years.

Also amusing: Vintage Headroom.

Not so amusing: A search for "Osama Bin Ladin" from early 2001 comes up with an article called "Thank God For Osama bin Ladin!!". The page is not available in the archives.

Oct 10, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #2 of 3
Thanks for the link! Brings back memories of the Headbanger amp that I built. I bypassed the Cmoy stage and did it first, then a Cmoy amp afterwards. The Headbanger had decent sound for portable use. Now I'm building balanced Bijous and balanced Beta22s. :wink:

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 3
Portable amplifiers certainly have improved since 2001, but not such a major improvement for home amplifiers.
It does bring back some memories though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back