Headphone amplifiers WITHOUT a preamplifier / preamp
Jun 23, 2022 at 11:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

soulrider4ever

100+ Head-Fier
I know it's an odd question - I promise I did use the search function - but are there any headphone amplifiers that don't have a preamp / volume control function? Coming from the mindset of using speakers - I typically go full separates (dedicated amp, dedicated preamp, dedicated dac, etc), it seems all 'headphone amps' I look for are really 'integrated amps' since they have their own preamplifier line stage built in.

Is anyone of aware of dedicated headphone power amplifiers without any sort of built in volume control?

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 12
You can ask if Justin at Headamp will customize one of this gsx mk2 for you without a pot. Otherwise nothing commercially available.

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 12
Sounds like I'll be looking for custom headphone cables that terminate to banana plugs and find a traditional speaker amplifier.
I would not go that route depending on what cans you are looking to drive. DC offset and rush current could be problematic.

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 12
Sounds like I'll be looking for custom headphone cables that terminate to banana plugs and find a traditional speaker amplifier.
It's probably not a jack issue. I could be wrong that when you play at relatively small volume (driving headphone with power amps), you might not hit the sweet spot of the power amp, either SNR or dynamic range might not work in favor for you. Also it could be pretty easy to push your headphone out of spec/tolerance by just a tiny bit of volume knob turn.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 12
any headphone amplifiers that don't have a preamp / volume control function?

My TUBA does not have a preamp, as input signal goes straight to output tube. Just enough gain to make it work. It does have volume control. I would suggest that whatever amplifier you choose, just set gain to maximum and leave it there, which should offer least distortion and noise.

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 12
Little labs phonitor also has a bypass on it’s volume pot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back