"Headphone Amplifier With DAC" - iPhone Lightning to Headphone Jack
Jan 28, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #76 of 87
  Scott, go read the Skyn thread now.  Mike is saying that if you get the first one now, you can get a second one IN THE FUTURE (updated model like an iP7 version) for only $175.

Thanks for telling me! Coincidentally I was just reading the thread and was just writing a reply as you wrote here. Concept sounds great, but a few concerns with it - as mentioned in my reply I just posted over there

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #77 of 87
Any idea if the hi-fi sky worth it with the iphone 6? I hear some folks saying the iphone 6 and 6+ have a great built in DAC and I won’t hear much difference. Others say the Skyn ( based on their hi-fi M8 DAC) will make a huge difference.

This would be specifically for listening to the Tidal streaming service, which streams in uncompressed hi-fi- or much less compressed than MP3s and 4s and such. iphone 6 with Bower and Wilkins P7 cans.

Any thoughts most welcome.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #78 of 87
  Any idea if the hi-fi sky worth it with the iphone 6? I hear some folks saying the iphone 6 and 6+ have a great built in DAC and I won’t hear much difference. Others say the Skyn ( based on their hi-fi M8 DAC) will make a huge difference.

This would be specifically for listening to the Tidal streaming service, which streams in uncompressed hi-fi- or much less compressed than MP3s and 4s and such. iphone 6 with Bower and Wilkins P7 cans.

Any thoughts most welcome.

A lot of people say that one cannot hear a difference between a 320 kbps mp3 and any hires format. IMO your best expenditure is in quality headphones.

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #79 of 87
Please may I request some advice. What Fiio should i use on an iPhone 6 plus for improved overall sound quality. I understand the internal DAC is now quite good on the iPhone 6 plus so should i connect it direct to the Fiio E12? Other discussions have indicated more complex configurations using Camera Kit to iPhone 6 plus and then usb cable into to Fiio USB MODEL for best sound to bypass iPhone amp, and another suggestion has been using a very awkward lightning to 30 pin and then into L9 cable and then into Fiio E12. Please help clarify. Thank you kindly. smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #80 of 87
Please may I request some advice. What Fiio should i use on an iPhone 6 plus for improved overall sound quality.

I understand the internal DAC is now quite good on the iPhone 6 plus si should i connect it direct to the Fiio E12?

Other discussions have indicated more complex configurations using Camera Kit to iPhone 6 plus and then usb cable into to Fiio USB MODEL for best sound to bypass iPhone amp, and another suggestion has been using a very awkward lightning to 30 pin and then into L9 cable and then into Fiio E12.

Please help clarify.

Thank you kindly.

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #81 of 87
Digging this thread to get some info,
Does the lightning port restrict audio output to 16bit 44khz?
I.e and hi res flac will not produce 24bit output via a player through the lightning port

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #82 of 87
IPhones with Lightning ports do not have audio line out connections. Any means of doing this requires a DAC and getting a cable with an embedded DAC chip is IMO not a good idea. Most people will not want to double Amp out of the headphone jack. I use an Android phone which works perfectly fine with an external DAC. I also have an iPod Touch 5G which works perfectly fine with external DACs using the Lightning CCK cable, etc. sometimes requiring a powered USB Hub. I haven't checked too carefully, however, the headphone output of the Touch is very quiet and in this case double Amping may not be such a terrible thing, especially if one is mobile under less than ideal listening conditions. I wouldn't et too wrapped up in 24 bit as that exceeds the true DR of any DAC and in real life to realize such a DR would shatter one's head.

Oct 19, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #83 of 87
Digging this thread to get some info,
Does the lightning port restrict audio output to 16bit 44khz?
I.e and hi res flac will not produce 24bit output via a player through the lightning port

Not sure about the bit-depth.  But I have several audio apps which do disclose the audio frequency being output (KORG iAudioGate, radius NePLAYER).

When the Apple Lightning Ear Pods (bundled with the iPhone 7+), 44.1kHz sources are output at 44.1kHz, as they should be.  And sources that are at 48kHz or multiples of 48kHz, are output at 48kHz, as they should be.  Using the Apple Lightning to Headphone dongle (also bundled with the iPhone 7+) gives the same results.  The iPhone Control Center identifies both as "Headphones", and NePLAYER identifes the output as "Lightning".

My Sony MDR-1ADAC supposedly supports 16-bit @ 44.1kHz/48kHz through it's Lightning cable.  However, no matter what the format of sound source that I play (e.g. 44.kHz source, 48kHz source, 96kHz source, DSD source, etc), the output is sent at only 44.1kHz.  Even 48kHz formats, or multiples of 48kHz, are output at 44.1kHz.  The iPhone Control Center identifies as "Dock", and NePLAYER identifies the output as "Other".

If I connect the MDR-1ADAC via the Apple Lighting USB 3.0 Camera Kit to the PC micro-USB connector on the MDR-1ADAC, the audio apps send the audio at their native output frequencies, as they should, BUT no actual audio is heard on the headphones - for some reason the digital audio doesn't route correctly.  The iPhone Control Center identifies as "MDR-1ADAC", as it should, but again the audio doesn't actually get sent out.

I get these results on iPhone 7, iPad Air 2, and iPhone 7+, all running iOS 10.0.2 or iOS 10.0.3.

Looks like some incompatibilities - hopefully these will get corrected in future iOS updates, but I am not holding my breath on that....

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #84 of 87
I have a generic amp question, new to the idea.

I've got an iphone 6+ and am using MeeAudio Pinnacle iems.  The sound is great, but I would like a little more bass.  Is that something that a portable amp would produce?  Or am I better off sticking with equalizer apps?

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #85 of 87
  I have a generic amp question, new to the idea.

I've got an iphone 6+ and am using MeeAudio Pinnacle iems.  The sound is great, but I would like a little more bass.  Is that something that a portable amp would produce?  Or am I better off sticking with equalizer apps?

Try using an EQ, That phone has decent audio hardware and should easily drive your IEMs. I don't think ios offers any EQ app that is independent of the player. Take a look at Neutron Music Player, it has a parametric EQ, sounds great and is available for both Android and IOS.

Dec 16, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #87 of 87
Thanks for the reply. I've already got the Onkyo HF player app which has an equalizer. I prefer to use the built in music app, but the Apple eq presets are junk.

Onkyo is pretty good too. Amongst my toys I have a iPod Touch and was also disappointed with the meager built-in EQ, so I found other apps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back