Headphone Amplifier Upgrade
May 1, 2006 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Alu

Headphoneus Supremus
My Aria isn't even here for 2 weeks and I'm already plotting my next step. Well I WILL keep the Aria though, as I think that it's an excellent product, I just want to see how much an Amp can actually improve my headphones.

So I'm looking for something to drive my K701, and I was thinking along the lines of Singlepower MPX3, as I always wanted to try tubes. Or maybe a GS-1? Anyways, I want to try something that beats the Aria in performance by a large margin, and my budget is 1000€.

Or do you think that my source might need improvement as well? I'm pretty set on the MPX3, but depending on the input I'll might just go another way.

May 1, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
My Aria isn't even here for 2 weeks and I'm already plotting my next step. Well I WILL keep the Aria though, as I think that it's an excellent product, I just want to see how much an Amp can actually improve my headphones.

So I'm looking for something to drive my K701, and I was thinking along the lines of Singlepower MPX3, as I always wanted to try tubes. Or maybe a GS-1? Anyways, I want to try something that beats the Aria in performance by a large margin, and my budget is 1000€.

Or do you think that my source might need improvement as well? I'm pretty set on the MPX3, but depending on the input I'll might just go another way.

First, your source is good quality and will do fine. As for the amps, I own both and prefer the tube amp. The GS-1 is an excellent amp and superb value ..... but for sound quality the mpx3 wins IMO. I would recommend the SLAM version to best drive a low impedence headphone like the 701. I like my 701's with the SLAM mpx3 outfitted with the standard orange drop coupling caps, standard volume pot and solen1 (which is standard with the SLAM version). The only option I added was the blackgate cathode caps. The blackgates arent necessary but they do add a little speed and transparency. Good tubes make a definite difference and investing in some good Tung Sol or Raytheon 5687's and a good 6sn7 for gain duty is money well spent.
wink.gif

May 1, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
First, your source is good quality and will do fine. As for the amps, I own both and prefer the tube amp. The GS-1 is an excellent amp and superb value ..... but for sound quality the mpx3 wins IMO. I would recommend the SLAM version to best drive a low impedence headphone like the 701. I like my 701's with the SLAM mpx3 outfitted with the standard orange drop coupling caps, standard volume pot and solen1 (which is standard with the SLAM version). The only option I added was the blackgate cathode caps. The blackgates arent necessary but they do add a little speed and transparency. Good tubes make a definite difference and investing in some good Tung Sol or Raytheon 5687's and a good 6sn7 for gain duty is money well spent.
wink.gif

Thanks for your replies guys,

I've visited Singlepower's website and can't see an mpx3 SLAM, only a standard mpx3. Or is this to be specified later when buying it from the site just like the upgrades? I also don't know anything about tubes but I guess that the Singlepower themselves can help me here, and probably you guys whenever I need help regarding this subject.

May 1, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 18
The SLAM amps utilize 5687 tubes as outputs, but yes, you'll be able to specify that when you make your inquiry. The 5687s provide alot more power and current which are essential for cans like the K701s and Grados.

May 1, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 18
I did have the opportunity to listen to Glod's MPX3 at the dutch head-fi meet in february, and indeed it's a very good sounding amp, clearly a league above your Aria (to my ears, naturally).
Originally I've planned to get such an amp for the tubey side of the listening experience, but I didn't have the funds immediately.
Now I do have the funds, but it's probably too late.
From 6/2006 on anything electronic you are trying to import into Germany has to be CE (old) and ROHS compliant.
This is according to european legislation, and most probably the same rules apply to your country.
Some time ago a member tried to import a NorH amp into Luxemburg, but the customs refused to hand the amp over because it wasn't CE approved.All they offered was to destroy the amp or to ship it back on his expense.

Well, CE approvement is quite easy to get.A manufacturer just has to fill out a form claiming that the gear is CE compliant, glue a CE sticker onto the amp, done.Doable even for a provider of boutique audio, but the new ROHS legislation is a whole other story.Usually for beeing ROHS compliant a redesign of an amp is necessary, and the related bureaucracy is more complicated and expensive.

The new european legislation was meant to be environment friendly, but a (desired??) side effect is that we are stuck in the future to european gear and mass produced gear from abroad.Smells like hidden protectionism.
Small producers of boutique audio are squeezed out of the market.
A ROHS compliant amp has to be partially redesigned, it's more expensive to produce it and it's technically inferior.

May 1, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
This is according to european legislation, and most probably the same rules apply to your country.
Some time ago a member tried to import a NorH amp into Luxemburg, but the customs refused to hand the amp over because it wasn't CE approved.All they offered was to destroy the amp or to ship it back on his expense.

Well, CE approvement is quite easy to get.A manufacturer just has to fill out a form claiming that the gear is CE compliant, glue a CE sticker onto the amp, done.Doable even for a provider of boutique audio, but the new ROHS legislation is a whole other story.Usually for beeing ROHS compliant a redesign of an amp is necessary, and the related bureaucracy is more complicated and expensive.

Good God! I can't get myself an mpx3 even if I wanted to? Has anyone tried to import this amp after this new legislation? I guess with CE approvement they ought to hand it over nevertheless don't they? That's really awful to hear. I guess I'll also have to ask Singlepower about this then.

May 1, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 18
I can give a enthusistic recommendation for the SinglePower amps. I recently bought a PPX3 SLAM, and really enjoy it. I don't know what to say about the customs issues. Maybe if you have a private party send it to you, you can avoid some a the problems encountered by having a "new" unit imported?

- augustwest

May 1, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
I can give a enthusistic recommendation for the SinglePower amps. I recently bought a PPX3 SLAM, and really enjoy it. I don't know what to say about the customs issues. Maybe if you have a private party send it to you, you can avoid some a the problems encountered by having a "new" unit imported?

- augustwest

I guess I could ask someone to mark it as a gift or something like that if I'd find someone who'd do this. But only if it really is necessary, I wouldn't want to trouble another head-fier with my personal problems.

May 1, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 18
They just want the 40% tax + import duty.

Has anyone compared these OTL headamps with the Ear Purist HD design by Mapletree Audio? I am very happy with the one I imported, without a CE sticker.

May 1, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ15k
Yeah, same here no problem importing, but they want you to pay VAT and some import duties. Sometimes it can take some time to clear customs though

Yea I remember this from importing my DAC. It took under a week to arrive from the US but it took almost a month to get it from customs to me. I hope this won't ever happen again.

May 1, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 18
"Has anyone compared these OTL headamps with the Ear Purist HD design by Mapletree Audio?"

I believe SACD Lover could answer this question for you. He has owned both.

- augustwest

May 1, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 18
The Singlepower amps, atleast the PPX3 and the MPX3 aren't OTL designs...

May 1, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
I did have the opportunity to listen to Glod's MPX3 at the dutch head-fi meet in february, and indeed it's a very good sounding amp, clearly a league above your Aria (to my ears, naturally).
Originally I've planned to get such an amp for the tubey side of the listening experience, but I didn't have the funds immediately.
Now I do have the funds, but it's probably too late.
From 6/2006 on anything electronic you are trying to import into Germany has to be CE (old) and ROHS compliant.

The new european legislation was meant to be environment friendly, but a (desired??) side effect is that we are stuck in the future to european gear and mass produced gear from abroad.Smells like hidden protectionism.
Small producers of boutique audio are squeezed out of the market.
A ROHS compliant amp has to be partially redesigned, it's more expensive to produce it and it's technically inferior.

uh..I don't now where you get the idea that CE is easy to get..CE cost alot of money to get and everytime you need to change a little thing to your spec you have to pay more money to get recertified..stuff even as trivial as changing a screw size. very annoying...FYI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back