Headphone amplifier suggestions - no valves! :)
Jul 28, 2008 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AudioPhewl

500+ Head-Fier
I know it's probably a strange request, but I've never heard a valve-based amplifier, so I don't know what I'm missing. What I do know, however, is that I play a lot of music through my headphones and that I'd like to avoid the need to replace components each year.
smily_headphones1.gif

I like solid-state - I can leave it powered-up without any worries.

What DIY amps should I be looking at? I'm handy enough with a soldering iron, but would like something "packaged" - so I don't have to worry about finding a suitable case or drilling holes. I'm far from an "A" grader when it comes to making cases, but would still like something that won't look out of place with my stereo.

I do have a Zero DAC, which has a built-in headphone amplifier, and a CMOY too. Am I likely to see better results by building an amplifier than using the Zero's built-in one? I'll be buying new headphones in the next few weeks(Likely Denon D5000s), and would like to be able to drive them to their full potential.

Sorry for all the questions, and cheers for the advice!
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 5
Budget?

The CKKIII is a very nice DIY amp with great bang for buck. It is versatile in that the output current is adjustable. That being said It is not (IMHO) a great match for the D5000's as it has a very warm presentation that when coupled with the D5000 becomes too dark. The CK is available from Jeff at glassjaraudio but would still require some drilling.

The only kit that I know of with pre-drilled end panes is the Mini3 but it is a portable amp so probably not what you are looking for.

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 5
I would also recommend the CKKIII as it's a great project and unmatched for vfm, imho.
smily_headphones1.gif

Others to consider are M3 and PPA2.

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Postal_Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Budget?

Endless.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd gladly spend $600 if it yields much better sound than the Zero or Cmoy. But I'd hate to spend $100 if it only yielded the talent of a Cmoy... not that there's anything wrong with a Cmoy, but I'd want a worthwhile improvement over it.

Cheaper is always better. I'll give things a go with the Zero DAC amplifier first, I think. It may offer all I'm looking for... who knows...
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back