Headphone Amplifier Question!! NEED HELP!
Jun 17, 2015 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bandooken

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I have a marantz PM6005 integrated amplifier powering my Klipsch RB600b speakers and i use it to power my headphones too. however now i want to get a dedicated headphone amplifier. More specifically the HifiMan EF-5 and i eventually look to get either hifiman HE500 or AUDEZE LCD-2. 

So now my main question is i have my PM6005 amplifier hooked up to my PC via optical. can i get a line out from it (R and L) into the headphone amplifier? if i do so will the music i play on my computer come out of the Hifiman EF-5? and will i be using the DAC from inside my PM6005? sorry im new to this whole audio thing and this will be my first dedicated headphone setup!

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 7
You should be able to run the "Recorder" out from the PM6005 into an amp.  Without reading the manual or asking the manufacturer I am not sure if this is an analog out or digital nor do I know what output voltage it provides.

Your audio chain could go:

PC ---> COAX or Optical ---> PM6005's Digital Audio In ---> PM6005's Recorder out ---> Headphone amp

You need to make sure that the headphone amp you end up with has the inputs/outputs you want.  For example if you run RCA out of the PM6005 then you want RCA in on your amp.  There are other methods and connects that may be used, but this would make the most sense.

Is the audio quality out of the PM6005 bad?  Do you hear hiss at low volume?  Is there constant static?  At loud volumes does it distort?  Just trying to understand why you want to upgrade if your piece of gear is already an all-in-one device.  It would free up some cash from better headphones.

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 7
  I have a Marantz PM6005 integrated amplifier powering my Klipsch RB600b speakers and i use it to power my headphones too. however now i want to get a dedicated headphone amplifier. More specifically the HifiMan EF-5 and i eventually look to get either Hifiman HE500 or AUDEZE LCD-2. 
So now my main question is i have my PM6005 amplifier hooked up to my PC via optical. can i get a line out from it (R and L) into the headphone amplifier? if i do so will the music i play on my computer come out of the Hifiman EF-5? and will i be using the DAC from inside my PM6005? sorry I'm new to this whole audio thing and this will be my first dedicated headphone setup!

Why not first just plugging your headphones directly into the Marantz's headphone jack first, see if the Marantz does a decent job of driving your headphones.
If you do decide to get an external, get an external DAC/amp and connect it to your PC.

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 7
  You should be able to run the "Recorder" out from the PM6005 into an amp.  Without reading the manual or asking the manufacturer I am not sure if this is an analog out or digital nor do I know what output voltage it provides.

Your audio chain could go:

PC ---> COAX or Optical ---> PM6005's Digital Audio In ---> PM6005's Recorder out ---> Headphone amp

You need to make sure that the headphone amp you end up with has the inputs/outputs you want.  For example if you run RCA out of the PM6005 then you want RCA in on your amp.  There are other methods and connects that may be used, but this would make the most sense.

Is the audio quality out of the PM6005 bad?  Do you hear hiss at low volume?  Is there constant static?  At loud volumes does it distort?  Just trying to understand why you want to upgrade if your piece of gear is already an all-in-one device.  It would free up some cash from better headphones.

ya the reason i want to upgrade is because i just hear a constant static when there is nothing playing. But when i do play something i cant hear anything static or extra noise (hiss) it does a fantastic job at amplification because it has a discrete headphone amp built in. the hiss becomes somewhat unnoticeable at low volume. However i want it to be like my iphone 6+ where i hear absolutely nothing. Let me know what you think i should do. 

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 7

Why not first just plugging your headphones directly into the Marantz's headphone jack first, see if the Marantz does a decent job of driving your headphones.
If you do decide to get an external, get an external DAC/amp and connect it to your PC.

the thing is i only have the Denon D600 in terms of full size headphones. they are pretty efficient cans so i cant truly see how powerful the amp is. Although marantz says this amplifier has a fully discrete headphone amp!

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 7
i also see you have the beyerdynamic T70. i was thinking of getting some new cans. do you think the beyers are an upgrade to the Denon D600? if so are they bass heavy enough :p?

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 7
  The thing is I only have the Denon D600 in terms of full size headphones. they are pretty efficient cans so i cant truly see how powerful the amp is. Although Marantz says this amplifier has a fully discrete headphone amp!

Both the headphones your looking into (Hifiman HE-500 & Audeze LCD-2) do not seem very power demanding.
So the Marantz should be able to easily drive them (like way easily).

The Denon AH-D600 being only 25-Ohm, might benefit with a headphone amplifier with a very low output impedance (like 3-Ohms or less), to improve damping.
It's not a issue of power, it's how the power is delivered.

Can't find any listing for what the output impedance of the Marantz's headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back