Headphone Amplifier Configurations
Apr 14, 2010 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Pageygeeza

100+ Head-Fier
I know this isn't an easy question to answer, but......... There are so many features and parts to so many different headphone amplifiers that I feel it gets a little overwhelming for newcomers to actually design their own amplifiers.

I'm aware of a couple of the features/parts are on Head-Fi, but maybe we could merge them to this thread to make it easier to understand what and how these features affect the overall sound quality.

I'll make a list of the parts that I'm aware of, then maybe we could get some real world down to earth answers. I'm mainly looking for audio differences with the specific parts, but if you can supply more info, that would be better.

1: Opamps
2: Buffers
3: 3 x Amps (ground amp)
4: Virtual grounds (all types)
5: Different Class amps (I know of the different types, but how do they compare sound-wise?)
6: Cross Feed
7: Power Source / Supply

If anyone has any more parts to add to the list, then feel free to tell me.

And finally, I'm hoping this will help newcomers on the path to create some new amplifiers.

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 5
Cheers, updated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #4 of 5
I think most people head here to get an understanding of background information, circuit topologies and project implementations: HeadWize Library

Before creating some new amps, it's worthwhile taking some time to work out what you don't think is right with existing offerings.

As for an understanding of how individual features affect sound quality... you have a very long path to walk...

For example, how are you going to weed out fact from opinion... if I say a certain topology or type of component is vital to sound quality am I stating a fact or talking highly subjective opinion which might be crud?

I've seen people into DIY that have pages and pages and pages of notes on the subject... so might it be best for you to investigate deeply before running the thread? Don't want to dampen your obvious enthusiasm, but it really is a big subject!

Apr 17, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #5 of 5
The perceived quality of sound will always be subjective, so don't make this into a battle of what's wrong or right. This is my oppinion:

1. If you're using an opamp based amp, this IS the amplifier and will be the single most influential part. IME it's the amplifying stages that degrades the sound the most.
2. Buffers, as in buffers and not opamps following other opamps, sound different from each other but doesn't have the same impact as the amplifying stage. Yet, every transistor has it's sound. Class A or AB is a matter of taste and economy (size, battery consumption, heatsinks). Class AB adds high order distortion and it will sound brighter in a way. I like class A. I have no experience from class D.
3. I like it. It measures better and sounds better to my ears. It's an easy access to blend the sound of an amp since all (op)amps colors the sound. It's not as easy to roll voltage regulators, diodes, capacitors, transformers etc. Grounding is as important as the L/R channels.
6. I never liked it.
7. In 3-channel amps I can't hear any difference between different power sources.

You forgot
10. Fancy parts, do they sound better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back