HeadPhone Amp ?
Feb 27, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #16 of 19
Vali2 has 270mW at 300ohms and +14dB gain at high gain mode. Power-wise, definitely no issues. Noise and distortion are a little high - not necessarily obviously bad distortion, but of course that's compared to something like a Meier Corda Jazz. Get a DAC like the Modi2 Uber with it so you put a clean 2volt line singal into the Vali.

Hey thanks so much. Your input is valued and I was feeling terribly claustrophobic so that verification that I'm on the right path made me feel a lot better. I did order the Modi2 Uber, however I ordered the Valhalla 2 because it seemed like a natural way of following your suggestion to the next level.

Feb 27, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #17 of 19
Hi Pronstar,

I didn't say anything about your Epiphany Acoustics E-DAC, I don't have experience with this unit but aware it exists, I have a firm policy of not speaking about something unless I have at least tried it for some time.

As others here who have had experience with it than me have said, you should be fine.

Feb 27, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #18 of 19
Hey thanks so much. Your input is valued and I was feeling terribly claustrophobic so that verification that I'm on the right path made me feel a lot better. I did order the Modi2 Uber, however I ordered the Valhalla 2 because it seemed like a natural way of following your suggestion to the next level.

Jut note that being an OTL tube amp its power delivery is biased for high impedance loads. It outputs more power at 300ohms than at 32ohms. Output impedance is also very high, except in the case of the Valhalla2, it's a lot lower than other OTL amps. That means you don't get the kind of midrange-boosting effect as on, say, a Little Dot MkII, which is great from a technical standpoint. It's still OTL though so it's really not a good idea to use it with low impedance headphones, particularly if their sensitivity is lower (which tends to be common, ex HiFiMan and AKG).

Feb 27, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #19 of 19
Jut note that being an OTL tube amp its power delivery is biased for high impedance loads. It outputs more power at 300ohms than at 32ohms. Output impedance is also very high, except in the case of the Valhalla2, it's a lot lower than other OTL amps. That means you don't get the kind of midrange-boosting effect as on, say, a Little Dot MkII, which is great from a technical standpoint. It's still OTL though so it's really not a good idea to use it with low impedance headphones, particularly if their sensitivity is lower (which tends to be common, ex HiFiMan and AKG).

Interesting, noted. My DT990s are 250ohm so I'm guessing they'll be a serviceable mate for this Valhalla 2. If it's not a match made in heaven I'm O.K. with that. I've had them a good long time and am not married to them. My goal is just to have a reasonable first tube amp experience and I'm really excited about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back