Headphone Amp
Aug 12, 2016 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

yannisgk

New Head-Fier
hi,

i connect ma pc through an hdmi to ma tv and then from tv to a pair of speakers via optical cable.

since i want more volume from ma HPs when i connect'em to my speakers who have a bigger hole than a 3.5" jack,
can you suggest me an amp under $100 not needing an extra adapter when it connects to ma speakers???

thanx!!!

Aug 12, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 9
  hi,

i connect ma pc through an hdmi to ma tv and then from tv to a pair of speakers via optical cable.

since i want more volume from ma HPs when i connect'em to my speakers who have a bigger hole than a 3.5" jack,
can you suggest me an amp under $100 not needing an extra adapter when it connects to ma speakers???

thanx!!!

I don't think your going to find a amp that can take a digital optical fiber signal and amplify it for under 100 bucks, digital processing costs more money then analog sorry to say.

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 9

I don't think your going to find a amp that can take a digital optical fiber signal and amplify it for under 100 bucks, digital processing costs more money then analog sorry to say.

if i connect ma tv to speakers via an analog cable , can you suggest me an amp no more than $80?

(i want the amp to have a bigger connecting plug than 3.5" because the headphone out has one like this!)

(i also have a fiio a3 but i connect it to my sony nwz-a10 dap).

thx!!!

Aug 13, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 9
OK, I found something that you might like, and its the only thing I think you can find for under 100 dollars to do what you need. This is basically a digital decoder dac and amp built in. It uses a toslink optical or coaxial digital input and then outputs both with RCA outs and a large 1/4 headphone out on the front. Thats pretty much the best your going to do for your setup for the money. SMSL are actually known for making good quality cheap desktop amps, they been well reviewed by Z-reviews on youtube.

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SD793-II-PCM1793-DIR9001-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QLPJM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1471131678&sr=8-3&keywords=smsl+amp

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 9
SMSL are actually known for making good quality cheap desktop amps

Actually, historically, SMSL is known for making cheap quality equipment with cheap components (in order to undercut the competition) resulting in equipment that has reliability issues. Perhaps that has changed in the last year or so. I don't know.

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 9
That might be, but at least of this year they have been alright. I watch a lot of video's from Z-reviews on youtube, he knows his stuff. 3/4 of all the amps he has are SMSL and they all work, and work well, he swears by them, so they must be good. Point is, this guy needs an amp that takes a digital input and can output it to RCA or headphone jack for under 100 dollars, and thats what this does. Of course anything of serious quality is going to be above 100 dollars. Infact Z-reviews has a powerful amp that is full desktop size much like a receiver, and its several hundred dollars.

Aug 14, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 9
That might be, but at least of this year they have been alright. I watch a lot of video's from Z-reviews on youtube, he knows his stuff.

Just because someone makes a lot of subjective video reviews, it doesn't mean that he "knows his stuff." Just means he makes a lot of videos, and anyone who frequently offers demo recordings of speakers and headphones for others to use doesn't know much. That makes about as much sense as people shopping for a TV by watching videos of other TVs. And then this homemade contraption he created for recording headphones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo2xDhu7JK8. :rolleyes:

So no. I wouldn't put any stock in what he says. The long time regular members of this forum (and other audio forums) are more reliable sources of information.

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 9
  That might be, but at least of this year they have been alright. I watch a lot of video's from Z-reviews on youtube, he knows his stuff. 3/4 of all the amps he has are SMSL and they all work, and work well, he swears by them, so they must be good. Point is, this guy needs an amp that takes a digital input and can output it to RCA or headphone jack for under 100 dollars, and thats what this does. Of course anything of serious quality is going to be above 100 dollars. Infact Z-reviews has a powerful amp that is full desktop size much like a receiver, and its several hundred dollars.

No he doesn't.

Aug 14, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 9
Well ok, I guess I've been fooled by that guy, probably many other's have been too. I did get that he wasn't some super audio tech lab with millions of dollars of tech budget to test everything, but he seemed like he knew what he was talking about. But whatever, I aint here to argue and I don't want to start anything. Life is too short to worry about the little things lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back