HEADPHONE AMP
Jul 10, 2011 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ddan6815

New Head-Fier
I'm a newbie to headphones, have always kinda been into h- fii equipment, and speakers. I recently purchased a pair ad700 and the m50, my question is I noticed when I hook them up to my cd player or my pre-amp I still get good quality sound without my amp on, is this the same thing that a headphone amp does ?.........I heard no question is a stupid question,bu that felt stupid:)

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 13
More or less, except a dedicated headphone amp when you start getting into the higher end will give you less THD and more detail than the headphone stage of a cd player or pre amp. Thats really only when you start spending decent money on a headphone amp though, there was little that impressed me for around 100 bucks.

You could plug most headphones into a Denon headphone jack and be happy with what you get.

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #6 of 13
I guess my question is, does most hi end cd players and pre amp, have built in intergrated headphone stages, as to where a headphone amp is not really needed, or may not enhance the sound quality enough to be detectable?

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 13
Yes they do have built in headphone stages and the headphone stage of those can be quite good compared to the cheaper headphone amps you buy these days since a headphone stage is easy to add in and you don't have to provide it's own power supply//case.

It wouldn't be the amp stage of the cd player/pre amp that would be audible. It would be the improved quality of using a high end source in the first place. For 95 percent of audio builds it's always headphone> source > amp. If you have a very good source, chances are it'll drive whatever headphone you want to use. It's the amp that ultimately decides what final adjustments to your tone and clarity you want to make, but nobody ever got anywhere using an ipod and a K701.

Between the AD700 and the M50, which one do you like better? Part of me is rooting for the AD700.

Jul 10, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 13
I don t think I can give you a fair opinion right now considering that,I just got the m50, and haven't really had a chance to listen to them, nor break them in but I can tell you that, I was going to send the ad700 back and gt the m50, but something about them wouldn't let me. they're very comfortable, I can actually lay in my bed and fall asleep wearing them because of the soft earpads, and with the type music I listen to, they work well for me, a little forward at times, but overall very nice sound, I notice a lot of people says not enough bass, i find they provide plenty enough bass, I only have about 10 hours a think they're only going to get better. the fit may be a little awkward at first, but i slightly bent the part that fits on top of your head a little,  using my two index finger, and I can actually look up or down without them falling and i actually have a bald semi small head:) .......I'll give you an update when i get a good chance to evaluate the m50

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 13
Do you have the open or the closed variety? Glad you are happy with the bass.

I loved the open sort of AD700 since the midrange was really good and mids are where all the music is :)

Jul 10, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
I'm a newbie to headphones, have always kinda been into h- fii equipment, and speakers. I recently purchased a pair ad700 and the m50, my question is I noticed when I hook them up to my cd player or my pre-amp I still get good quality sound without my amp on, is this the same thing that a headphone amp does ?.........I heard no question is a stupid question,bu that felt stupid:)

Heya,

The reason you're getting good quality sound is because these headphones you're using do not require amplification. So any signal is enough to basically push them to your enjoyment. A beefy amp will not make them better. Save your money. If you want more sound, start with more headphone first.

Very best,

Jul 10, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 13
he ad700 are open, the a700 are of the closed design.....the only thing i dont really like is the sound leakage, you can put them on a table and turn the volume up just a little and yo would think you have a radio on from another room

Jul 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #12 of 13

can you make any recommendation, what would be an upgrade from what I have
Quote:
Heya,

The reason you're getting good quality sound is because these headphones you're using do not require amplification. So any signal is enough to basically push them to your enjoyment. A beefy amp will not make them better. Save your money. If you want more sound, start with more headphone first.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back