Headphone Amp!
Jul 8, 2001 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gorgon_123

Proud to be a member
Hi there,

Finally my Beyerdynamic DT-250's arrived!!! (the 250 ohm version, not the 80 ohm).

First things first: I ordered these in late May from musiciangear.com - they have really great prices or else I would have preferred to order from Headroom. $$$ matters! But their service sucks ass. I kept getting emails from them saying: not in stock yet, wait another week. The sale confirmation email I received said they would arrive in 14 days. Anyway, finally I decided to cancel my order, which freaked them out and my headphones arrived within a week. The lesson: they suck!! stay away.

Anyway - I'm finding that my portable cdp just isn't driving these at all, so I'm very frustrated. I'm looking for a portable amp and was wondering if the TA would be powerful enough to drive them? Or the cmoy design? Or the "in the works" portable Corda?

Any and all advice would be helpful, thx --- gorg!

EDIT: oops. guess this should be in the electronics and accessories forum. then again this does concern portability. hmmm!!! ambigious!!

Jul 8, 2001 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 7
>>Anyway - I'm finding that my portable cdp just isn't driving these at all, so I'm very frustrated.

You expected it to power the 250's? Why on earth didnt you buy the 80's if you planned to use them with with a portable device? Cheaper and they would have actuialy worked...

Anyway I dunno if the TA is up to powering them fully. Sure youll be able to hear the music and itll be 1000% better than straight outa a portable but it probably wont be releasing the full potential of the phones. Might be ok though im not sure. Whats the sensitivity on those? Neither the CHA47 design nor the TA has quite enough power for the HD580/HD600s. If the portable Corda is like the non-portable Corda it should have no problem with your phones.

But seriously if you are just looking for a decent set of closed phones for use right from the headphone jack of a portable get the 80's. The 250's were never meant to be used portably.

Jul 8, 2001 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Neither the CHA47 design nor the TA has quite enough power for the HD580/HD600s.

Ok, that is a half truth. The TA I agree, even full blast it's below my lowest listening level on HD600s... but a cmoy, too many variables. The specified OPA132/4 doesn't get that close to the rails and it will be your volume limiting factor regardless of gain. If you go with a rail-to-rail type of opamp though, you can get +/-4V to the phones off a fresh 9V... dangerous levels of spl, and probably more than you can take, much less enjoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

And even a stock cmoy will skyrocket HD600s if you power it with more, a dual 9V config works extremely well.

And truthfully I don't think you'd have done that much better getting the 250-80s for portable use... HD25-SPs which are 85 ohm/100dB sens... and they need an amp too, IMO. Depends on your listening level alot, though.

Jul 8, 2001 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 7
lemme clarify since I seem to have offended people due to my usage of the 250's with a pcdp
smily_headphones1.gif

1. I primarily use my phones at home, so be calm it's not the end of the world.
2. I had actually ordered the 80's from musician-gear.com but I got the 250's. I know I should simply exchange them but they took too long to get here and I don't feel like waiting anymore, and I only paid for the 80's and got the more expensive phone.. soooo.. i'm keepin 'em!

anyway... thx for the advice. and keep it coming
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2001 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neither the CHA47 design nor the TA has quite enough power for the HD580/HD600s

Question, How loud to you listen to your music, cause my freinds HD580 go loud! on the TA.

Jul 8, 2001 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 7
loud does not equal enough power

example: I tried a hd570 with my portable once, blasting at 75%. but sound wasn't as good as my mx500, tho it kicked booty from a preamp. Most noticable was the collapsed soundstage out of the portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back