headphone amp worth it for piano music ?
Feb 27, 2012 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

guermantes

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I was just wondering, if I mainly listen to solo piano music (Chopin, Haydn, Bach) in my headphones, would it be worth it to invest in a headphone amp? Or is it only when I unleash the Wagnerian forces that I start to hear anything different compared to when I hook my phones up like in the signature?

Thanks !

/g

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 11

Quote:
Hi,
I was just wondering, if I mainly listen to solo piano music (Chopin, Haydn, Bach) in my headphones, would it be worth it to invest in a headphone amp? Or is it only when I unleash the Wagnerian forces that I start to hear anything different compared to when I hook my phones up like in the signature?

Thanks !

/g

Yes, I would say get an amp.if you can.

Solo piano is very difficult to record and there is a lot of subtle information that a good headphone / amp/ combination will bring out.

I record solo piano CDs (EG: THIS, THIS, THIS and THIS and the top 5 in this list).  My own listening (monitoring) kit is the Sennheiser HD 800 via the Grace m903.
L3000.gif

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 11
Solo piano recordings are not easy to reproduce.

I have a HiFiMan HE-6 powered by an all tube ARC D-70, 60wpc. I've also used other less powerful speaker amps but the ARC amp is better.
For me, on less powerful amp, the upper bass/lower mids of the piano would sound leaner, not as full. This is where some headphone/amp have trouble reproducing solo piano recordings.

Even my ARC amp would sound a little different depending on the output tubes I use. With the new Tung Sol 6550s, upper bass/lower mids is fuller but at the expense of the upper mid/treble a little brighter. Using GE 6550s, the upper bass/lower mids is just a little less fuller but the upper mid/treble is smoother, less bright.

So I would state that this would depend on your HP and HP amp you use.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 11
The piano is indeed the BEST reason for getting a headphone amp :D  Good control is critical to getting the timbre correct

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Solo piano recordings are not easy to reproduce.

For me, on less powerful amp, the upper bass/lower mids of the piano would sound leaner, not as full. This is where some headphone/amp have trouble reproducing solo piano recordings.

Quote:
The piano is indeed the BEST reason for getting a headphone amp :D  Good control is critical to getting the timbre correct

Yes - and I forgot to say that a piano produces a very fast transient when the hammer hits the strings and you need good headphones and a good fast amplifier to reproduce this properly.

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 11
Ok. Thanks everyone for your input. It sounds like I should start auditioning HP-amps then. 
smile.gif

Just a quick question since I am not so well versed in this terminology, what does "a very fast transient" mean?

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:

Yes - and I forgot to say that a piano produces a very fast transient when the hammer hits the strings and you need good headphones and a good fast amplifier to reproduce this properly.

True. Hardly any headphone does this. Ultrasone Pro 900 is the one that got closest for me so far.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 11
any instrumental solos are quite hard to reproduce, and when the background of the music is that quiet, all the details and potential shortcomings of the system start to light up like big light bulbs in the music. therefore I think adding a good amp for your system is fairly important. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:

Just a quick question since I am not so well versed in this terminology, what does "a very fast transient" mean?

It means that the waveform has a very fast rise-time and would look a bit like this:-

As opposed to a more gentle sine wave like this:-

For a fast transient the headphone diaphragm needs to move very quickly - an electrostatic is normally the best, but the Sennheiser HD 800 gets pretty close due to the ring diaphragm and large magnet design.

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #10 of 11
I see. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back