Headphone Amp Woes
Jan 4, 2002 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

20silkcut

Head-Fier
I need someone to convince me that spending a pile on a headphone amp is going to satisfy my lust for audiophilic Can listening.

Easily obtainable options in the UK are the Earmax Pro and the Sugden Headmaster. These require £400-£600 outlay and based on my recent purchases i'm starting to lose faith.

Purchase 1 : Brand new X-Cans V2 £149. Sounded quite nice on audition but in retrospect was no improvement on my Cyrus I integrated amp. Luckily it died after 5 days and i got my money back.

Purchase 2 : Only other auditionable amp in the city - Rega Ear. Not as good as the X-Cans but thought will be OK for use at work with the PCDP. Having A/B'd it with the Cyrus it is positively woeful but still improves the PCDP with the Beyers. I will retain it for work use but need to buy some attenuators (see Rega Ear thread in this forum).

The main point of this post is I bought the X-Cans £149. This is a piece of electronics that's sole purpose is to amplify a signal for a pair of headphones. It succeeds - but a 20 year old integrated amp headphone jack runs it seriously close - if not pips it. I do believe there is a better solution, however, I have exhausted the easy to get/return cheapo solutions.

I will persevere - EMP or Headmaster - Hmmmm? However, some positive comments to restore the faith would be much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

PS

Negative comments will be equally appreciated. Might save me a few beer tokens
tongue.gif

Jan 5, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #2 of 12
I'd argue that the Rega is better than the X-cans. I've never heard the Rega, but the X-cans are terrible. The Rega is supposedly a clean solid state winner.

Jan 5, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 12
The right amp will definitely improve you headphone experience. THe down side is that really jaw-dropping improvements over your Cyrus will not be cheap. Both the X-cans and the Rega are really entry level amps and would be an improvement only if you had mediocre gear. My own experience is that a Grado RA-1 was a considerable improvement over the ouputof my Denon CDP and that a Headroom COsmic was condiserably better than the RA-1, especially with the BS-1 power supply. But the Cosmic/BS-1 was pushing $1000 ($800 and change actually at the time). Now I've gone tube-crazy and bought an AudioValve RKV AND a Berning MicroZOTL, and I've been cancelling social engagements to stay home plugged into these two beauties. Luscious amazing sound, but I am now about $2500 down just for headphone amps! We won't even mention new phones, CD transports, DACs, interconnects and piles of new CD's. Heroin addiction is probably cheaper, if somewhat harder on the constitution.

Jan 6, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 12
uh, just get a Melos SHA-1 on ebay or audiogon for $400ish + shipping and be done. It'll beat everything except the really expensive amps (hp, rkv, etc.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by 20silkcut
Purchase 1 : Brand new X-Cans V2 £149. Sounded quite nice on audition but in retrospect was no improvement on my Cyrus I integrated amp. Luckily it died after 5 days and i got my money back.

The Cyrus I had a heapdhone out??
frown.gif

I've got the III and it hasn't, but the IIIi has, I thought it was a new added feature, not one that Cyrus had omitted on my amp
frown.gif

Jan 6, 2002 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
The Cyrus I had a heapdhone out??

I've got the III and it hasn't, but the IIIi has, I thought it was a new added feature, not one that Cyrus had omitted on my amp

Yes it does. I assumed all Cyrus amps had one. My brother has the latest version (7 i think it is) and it also has headphone out.

Jan 8, 2002 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 12
Hello 20silkcut

You did not mention what headphones you have and which one you like the most. (will listen to).

From your profile it seems your inventory is :

Senn HD470 / Senn HD600 / Beyer DT250-80

I would assume you like the HD600 more that the others and I am very interested to know how your new X-CAN's died after 5 days.

What caused this ? Are your headphones okay ?

If your electronic skills are good I rather recommend building your own headphone amplifier.

I only recently heard HD600's on a headphone amp I build myself and I like what I heard. It sounded awesome. BTW I have AKG K 501's which I have not heard yet.

There are some very clever designers on this forum and I am sure they can help you.

Gavin

Jan 11, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 12
20silkcut,

Personally, I think Headmaster is a good choice. It has the dynamics of a solid-state, and the warmth of a tube.

However, I noticed that I get tired easily after an hour of intense listening. This problem seemed to "disappear" with my Cary 300SEI, i.e. less fatigue.

Possibly something to do with the less agressive nature of the tubes.

For comparison. Headmaster (solid-state) brings "lives" into the music, while Cary (Tube) brings you "live" into the music.

So, perhaps you might want to decide first on what you prefer.

In either situation, I personally think that a headphone amp is definitely a MUST.

Cheers.

Jan 14, 2002 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by uvak
However, I noticed that I get tired easily after an hour of intense listening. This problem seemed to "disappear" with my Cary 300SEI, i.e. less fatigue.

Possibly something to do with the less agressive nature of the tubes.

For comparison. Headmaster (solid-state) brings "lives" into the music, while Cary (Tube) brings you "live" into the music.

uvak,
Could you elaborate more on the differences you hear between the Sudgen and the Cary? I haven't seen many people who own those two units and am very interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

Jan 14, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 12
Hi Ponzio,

What I have mentioned earlier are just some general opinions that I had after some brief listening on the two.

To be fair, I would need more time and in-depth listening before I conclude anything. For your info, I am currently STILL working on the following:

1. Sudgen Headmaster with AudioNote ANX silver IC,
2. Sony SCD 777

However, if you are keen to know about my "First Impressions" about the 2, read on ...

Headmaster-
It is pretty neutral, yet it possess the dynamics that really kicks. Good details and clean mid-range. Highs can be a little unbearable at times.

Cary-
It is warm and very easy on the ears. It is not as dynamic compared to Headmaster, but good enough to provide the "push". Vocals are wonderful, sounds extremely life-like. It has one of the best soundstage that I have ever experienced. It really make listening very pleasant and enjoyable.

That is about all. If possible, I will try to do a more in-depth comparison between the 2. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back