Headphone amp with more "power"
Sep 12, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #16 of 33

Also the AudioGD Precision 1 ($600) and Precision 2 ($1,000).
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/amp/Precision2/Precision2EN.htm
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/amp/Precision2/Precision2EN.htm

If it was just for the 250ohm DT990 I would suggest a powerful OTL tube amp, but since you have the 62ohm AKG K7XX, they'd require amplifiers that deliver power differently. The AudioGD's I linked above are perfect for this as their "gain" switch doesn't just alter the gain, but the manner of power delivery - one setting delivers more power at high impedance and the other setting at lower impedance. 

If you won't be using any very difficult to drive speakers, or heck, no speakers at all, get the Precision 1 - it might be designed to perform primarily as a speaker amp while also being a powerful headphone amp, but what you're going to go for here is how it flips the power delivery profile. In any case even at the low gain setting chances are you're going to get more power at 250ohm in "low gain" mode than the TP30.

The downside is that this one doesn't have a DAC in it, so you're going to have to get one also. Still, given you can get a good USB DAC for as little as $100 like the Schiit Modi2, then the power delivery profiles on the Precision 1 remain an attractive feature even without a DAC built in.

Yeah, those are beautiful amps but too expensive and honestly too big.

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #18 of 33
Starting to think it might be easier to find a preamp/headphone amp and then just have a separate power amp under the desk.

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #19 of 33

If you want a single unit there's the AudioGD NFB-15. With 300mW at 300ohms it should still be plenty of power for your DT990, and way more voltage and less distortion than the TP30.

In case you missed it, I replied just before you did and suggested you check out the NFB-15.

That has serious potential.  Price is low enough that I could find a separate power amp for my speakers and put it under the desk.

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #20 of 33
http://www.head-fi.org/a/head-fi-buying-guide-desktop-amps-dacs

U have that Sony and I think there is the micromega myamp or NAD D3020.

Dudlew

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #21 of 33
Going with the dac/preamp/headphone amp route I see two contenders.

The Audio-GD NFB-15 and a Schiit Modi 2/Magni 2 Uber combo.  I'd keep using the TP30 but only to power the speakers.

The NFB-15 has a little more power, more flexibility on the output and is a single unit.  It's a lot bigger, especially depth wise. Price would be about $290 including shipping.

The Schiit Modi 2/Magni 2 Uber combo has almost as much power and has a much smaller footprint. Price including shipping would be about $270

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #22 of 33
  If possible I'd like to keep it under $500.  Main reason I was looking for a single unit is that this sits on my desk at work and I don't have a huge amount of space to work with.

Keep the current amp for speakers, get a nice little amp for headphones, even a $100-ish E09k or Schiit Magni, or the (small!) Fulla might be powerful enough, and then stack them on top of each other.  With two stacked devices, the controls are right there, and you don't have to change any settings like you may have to on some units when switching between speakers and headphones.

Wait, those might still need a DAC.  hmm.

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #24 of 33

Starting to think it might be easier to find a preamp/headphone amp and then just have a separate power amp under the desk.

Quote:
  Going with the dac/preamp/headphone amp route I see two contenders.

The Audio-GD NFB-15 and a Schiit Modi 2/Magni 2 Uber combo.  I'd keep using the TP30 but only to power the speakers.

The NFB-15 has a little more power, more flexibility on the output and is a single unit.  It's a lot bigger, especially depth wise. Price would be about $290 including shipping.

The Schiit Modi 2/Magni 2 Uber combo has almost as much power and has a much smaller footprint. Price including shipping would be about $270

I'd go with the NFB-15 because of the switchable outputs that will simplify your system. There's a selector in front for the outputs - Headphone, DAC, Preamp. The first benefit is that you just select whether you want the output out front to a headphone, or an output at the rear - no need to unplug a headphone if you want to switch to speakers.

The other benefit is that since it can be set to DAC lineout bypassing the preamp, that means that since you have an existing integrated amp, you can just feed it a signal from the NFB-15, no need to get a pure power amp.

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #25 of 33
Unless you go with the Modi 2 Uber version, the NFB-15 also has more digital inputs.

Only source is my computer so not really an issue.

I'd go with the NFB-15 because of the switchable outputs that will simplify your system. There's a selector in front for the outputs - Headphone, DAC, Preamp. The first benefit is that you just select whether you want the output out front to a headphone, or an output at the rear - no need to unplug a headphone if you want to switch to speakers.

The other benefit is that since it can be set to DAC lineout bypassing the preamp, that means that since you have an existing integrated amp, you can just feed it a signal from the NFB-15, no need to get a pure power amp.

I really do like the NFB-15 but I'm worried about size.  I need to measure the space when I'm back in the office on Monday.

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #26 of 33
I really do like the NFB-15 but I'm worried about size.  I need to measure the space when I'm back in the office on Monday.

Glad you are checking. You'd be amazed at how many people know that they are limited on space, and then don't check the dimensions of where they are going to put a DAC, amp or speakers. Funniest thing is when someone gets a big 12" sub that is bigger than a cube dorm fridge, and then goes "it's too big." (lol)

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #27 of 33

I'm looking for a similar product though for different reasons (even though I'm 59, it's my hip that's shot, not my hearing!).

Per my posting the "Help me" forum, I purchased an Ubered Magni/Modi combo recently but now I want a compact device that's a DAC/headphone amp/speak amp that will drive my ER4P's, my 225's, and, as of yesterday, my HD-600. For speakers, I'm using Hsu HB1's and am thinking of adding one of their entry level subs. I'm powering my speakers with a 12 year old Sony AV receiver that's so large it can't fit on my desk and power hungry, consuming 44 watts at idle. 

So far, I've looked at perhaps a dozen devices and am narrowing it down to these products or manufacturers - micromega myAmp, Denon PMA-50, NuForce DDA-120, Teac 301 and 501, Sprout, Peachtree. I haven't made a decision yet (I'm going to be monitoring the Christmas sales over the next few weeks).

I don't even recall the name of the Peachtree product indicating that I crossed it off the list early in the process.
According to one posting, the Sprout has a mid-bass hump and then attenuates output < 50 Hz.
My impression of the TEAC units is that they're not as clear sounding as the more expensive products but they are quite but a less $$.
The DDA-120 seems technically, sonically, and visually appealing but there's no sub out (my sub can take high level inputs, however)
That leaves myAmp and the PMA-50 which are both reviewed well and appear to be feature-rich and high quality. 

Perhaps one of those units will work for you?

I'm torn between just adding an AudioEngine N22 to the Schiit stack or purchasing one of the above.

"Thoughts, comments, and cusswords" welcomed.

Forgot to add the NAD D3020! Great little unit and is in my top tier.

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #28 of 33

I'm looking for a similar product though for different reasons (even though I'm 59, it's my hip that's shot, not my hearing!).

Per my posting the "Help me" forum, I purchased an Ubered Magni/Modi combo recently but now I want a compact device that's a DAC/headphone amp/speak amp that will drive my ER4P's, my 225's, and, as of yesterday, my HD-600. For speakers, I'm using Hsu HB1's and am thinking of adding one of their entry level subs. I'm powering my speakers with a 12 year old Sony AV receiver that's so large it can't fit on my desk and power hungry, consuming 44 watts at idle. 

So far, I've looked at perhaps a dozen devices and am narrowing it down to these products or manufacturers - micromega myAmp, Denon PMA-50, NuForce DDA-120, Teac 301 and 501, Sprout, Peachtree. I haven't made a decision yet (I'm going to be monitoring the Christmas sales over the next few weeks).

I don't even recall the name of the Peachtree product indicating that I crossed it off the list early in the process.
According to one posting, the Sprout has a mid-bass hump and then attenuates output < 50 Hz.
My impression of the TEAC units is that they're not as clear sounding as the more expensive products but they are quite but a less $$.
The DDA-120 seems technically, sonically, and visually appealing but there's no sub out (my sub can take high level inputs, however)
That leaves myAmp and the PMA-50 which are both reviewed well and appear to be feature-rich and high quality. 

Perhaps one of those units will work for you?

I'm torn between just adding an AudioEngine N22 to the Schiit stack or purchasing one of the above.

"Thoughts, comments, and cusswords" welcomed.

Forgot to add the NAD D3020! Great little unit and is in my top tier.

You might consider an amp from Emotiva to go with the Schiit. 

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #29 of 33

Rick:

Thank you for the suggestion.

I've checked out their site - great equipment! I'm looking for something that's compact - is there something in their line that's about the size of the Modi/Magni?

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #30 of 33

Rick:

Thank you for the suggestion.

I've checked out their site - great equipment! I'm looking for something that's compact - is there something in their line that's about the size of the Modi/Magni?

I think their smallest amp is the Mini-x A-100. It's 8.5 by 3.1 by 15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back