Headphone amp with Ipod source?
Apr 25, 2013 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

drjjpdc

New Head-Fier
Sorry and I'm sure this has been asked but I have been searching everywhere for a half hour, at least. The daughter got a new Ipod for Christmas. Dad got her 2nd generation Nano and figuring out this thing is driving me nuts.

If I transferred a few CD's to the Ipod, can I simply hook up a R/L RCA cable to the rear of my Singlepower amp? The cable has a mini-jack that fits into the headphone output (on the Ipod) and I have a pair of AKG 701 that plugs into the front of the SP. If this does work will I get sound from R/L or only 1 side? Thanks!!

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 3
That would work and you'd get sound from the left and right (assuming you got a mini to RCA adapter with two RCA outputs).

It wouldn't be ideal though since you'd be double amplifying since the output coming out of the iPod is already amplified. What you can do is get a LOD (assuming the iPod doesn't have a lightning port, I don't think they've started using those for iPods yet but I could be wrong) and then run that to a DAC and then using the outputs from the DAC into the Amp you have.

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 3
Thank you Chuck. Originally I started using my laptop but that is an amplified signal coming out of my headphone output. My laptop does not have a line out. I was trying to use a Samuels Predator I have. I thought that would be a good solution but for the doubly amplified signal. And I haven't figured out an alternative yet.
I'm on permanent disability and I thought a couple sources would be nice as alternatives to listen. The SP is a very good amp (before the troubles listed in Head-Fi) and it's next to my recliner and I was just trying ways to get the best sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back