Headphone Amp w/ Bass Boost for ES7s
Jan 23, 2008 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

GCTonyHawk7

Head-Fier
Hey guys. First post here. Will start by mentioning I am new to this whole high-end audio thing. I got some Z-5500 logitech speakers, and love them. They put my little Sony MDR-V300 headphones to shame. I decided to buy some newer better ones.

I got a pair of Audio-Technica ES7s after looking around on here. I love their size, price, and comfort. Although, I find two things wrong with them.

CIMG8143.JPG

The first problem is really not with the headphones, but more with the conversion between speakers and headphones. I have some Logitech Z-5500 speakers, and use the headphone port on them to drive my headphones. Because of the big loud speakers, and the small not so loud headphones, there has to be HUGE volume adjustment when switching between them. I will have the on-computer volume at around half, and the Z5500 volume at about 1/4, plug in headphones and have to basically boost both all the way to full. This is not a huge deal, but something that wastes time, and is sure to cause an accidental REALLY loud speakers blast late at night or something. Sure, it is possible to plug the headphones into their own output on the back of the computer, but the speakers are hooked up over Optical. My soundcard is not able to play audio on both the Optical out and an analog output at the same time.

The second issue, is the bass. I happen to love bass, and apparently a very large amount of it. You could even call me a bass-head. These headphones have it, and are very capable. But I still feel it is lacking when plugged into my Z5500s. I've got some very old Labtec speakers that have a bass/treble knob on them. While it is killing the audio quality adding static and stuff, it does add a nice hardware bass boost that sounds amazing.

Basically, after looking around, I gather that what I want is a headphone amp. A simple one that has a separate volume control for the headphones, and also a bass-boost function. I figure this is much like what is in the old speakers. Now, I am no audiophile, I do not need to spend $200 to get the best amping job money can buy; I am looking to spend around $50 for something that does what I want.

In Summery: I want a cheap (around $50) headphone amp with:
- volume control
- bass boost (More is better, I love bass)
- 3.5 mm input from the speakers, and 3.5 mm out for the headphones

I figure you guys will have many options for me, you're the best, love you guys.
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianomav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you up your budget a little bit and go for the Ibasso P2.. it has bass boost, nice build and very portable...

I'm having a lot of trouble actually finding these things. Any info on that one, how much it costs, where to buy?

Headphone amps are not easy to research. >.<

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by DNT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in that price range the only I see is the Cmoy w/bassboost. Not recommended though.
frown.gif
I'd say P2, D2 or XM4/5 would be a better choice.

Heh, that sound decent. Although, where can I find these? I'm not even sure what brands they are?

I am assuming those are above $50 than?
cool.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why cant you just adjust the bass on the computer? The foobar EQ is not that bad
smily_headphones1.gif

and you might as well get a cmoy. :p

Well, the issue with that is that the Z-5500 speakers really do not need it. I've also found that hardware bass amping is better than an equiliser.

Basically, I am trying to buy something to simplify all this. Plug in the headphones, I have headphones. Don't want to plug them in, adjust all the volumes, change the EQ settings.... you know.

Saying stuff like the Cmoy doesn't help a newb, sorry. Which model, and where can you buy these things?
wink.gif

I was looking at the ibasso T1 for $71. more than I wanted to spend, but it looks nice.

Products

People are always talking about how you can get these cheaper elsewhere, is there some amazing website I am missing? I really like the ibasso stuff, but it seems so pricey for what I want.

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 20
... I looked at the Cmoy stuff. Are there ones to buy, or only the one that you custom build?

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 20
10059_4.jpg

Penguinamp "Caffeine Ultra" Cmoy Amp.
PenguinAmp.com

It got Bass Boost option, Gain Setting, and a "Tin" can.
A great starter amp.

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by GCTonyHawk7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People are always talking about how you can get these cheaper elsewhere, is there some amazing website I am missing? I really like the ibasso stuff, but it seems so pricey for what I want.

Check the FS forum for used stuff. They will be alot cheaper than retail

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by GCTonyHawk7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having a lot of trouble actually finding these things. Any info on that one, how much it costs, where to buy?

Headphone amps are not easy to research. >.<

You can find the p2 in ibasso.com for $139 . There's a thread that talks about this amp so do a search and you'll find lots of info.

Jan 25, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
10059_4.jpg

Penguinamp "Caffeine Ultra" Cmoy Amp.
PenguinAmp.com

It got Bass Boost option, Gain Setting, and a "Tin" can.
A great starter amp.

Wow, thanks. that one would be just ober $70 with shipping. Would you think this is better than the iBasso T1 for starters? I assume since it uses cheap tin can design and such that it can be cheaper and have much better parts.

Hmmm, something to consider. Anyone compared it with the ibasso stuff?

Jan 25, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #13 of 20
From specs alone, I'd tend to think that the PengAmp performs better than the iBasso T1 (which I owned, and traded in for the iBasso T2, which is now on its way to China for repairs since the right channel died... been a month though... I think its lost in the delivery).

The T1 utilizes a chip, from what I heard, that's predominanlty utilized in cellphones as its op-amp, some MAX??? thing that's very noisy and grainy from my own experience.

The T2 supposedly sports an AD8610 (found out sometime last year after getting it), and sounds a whole lot more refined in comparison to the T1. The T2 is also noticeably a whole lot more quieter than the T1 when nothing is playing. Another factir is that the T1 picks up RF interference, whereas the T2 doesn't.

The PengAmp sports an AD8397 (a respectably powerful op-amp IMO, capable of outputting from what I remember is 300mA of current), and from my experience with the PINT (configured with AD8397), the performance of the PINT is ahead of that of the iBasso T1 and T2. Given the metal casing of the PengAmp as well, I'm guessing that it shouldn't pick up RF interference, at least not as easily as the T1, which shell is forged from plastic BTW.

From HeadphoneAddict's positive feedback with regards to the PengAmp Caffeine (w/ Bassboost), I tend to think/believe that the amplifier is built centered around the AD8397, and by theory should easily outperform the T1 (though I'm not sure about the T2).

An curious about the PengAmp as well, but at present am saving up for the Little Dot MK1, so I don't have the luxury of spending my savings on the PengAmp yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From specs alone, I'd tend to think that the PengAmp performs better than the iBasso T1 (which I owned, and traded in for the iBasso T2, which is now on its way to China for repairs since the right channel died... been a month though... I think its lost in the delivery).

The T1 utilizes a chip, from what I heard, that's predominanlty utilized in cellphones as its op-amp, some MAX??? thing that's very noisy and grainy from my own experience.

The T2 supposedly sports an AD8610 (found out sometime last year after getting it), and sounds a whole lot more refined in comparison to the T1. The T2 is also noticeably a whole lot more quieter than the T1 when nothing is playing. Another factir is that the T1 picks up RF interference, whereas the T2 doesn't.

The PengAmp sports an AD8397 (a respectably powerful op-amp IMO, capable of outputting from what I remember is 300mA of current), and from my experience with the PINT (configured with AD8397), the performance of the PINT is ahead of that of the iBasso T1 and T2. Given the metal casing of the PengAmp as well, I'm guessing that it shouldn't pick up RF interference, at least not as easily as the T1, which shell is forged from plastic BTW.

From HeadphoneAddict's positive feedback with regards to the PengAmp Caffeine (w/ Bassboost), I tend to think/believe that the amplifier is built centered around the AD8397, and by theory should easily outperform the T1 (though I'm not sure about the T2).

An curious about the PengAmp as well, but at present am saving up for the Little Dot MK1, so I don't have the luxury of spending my savings on the PengAmp yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting. Hmmm. One thing I do not like about the PenguinAmp, is the power sitution. This is not for portable use, so I really don't want to need a battery for it. The iBasso can be plugged in with the included USB charger cable.

The iBasso T2 also works as a headphone splitter, which is nice when you've got multiple people listening to stuff.

Are there any non-portable amps that are cheaper due to not needing to be so small? I might need to up the budget to $100.

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 20
Wow, just discovered the iBasso P2 and I REALLY want that one. Got the bass boost with three levels, looks amazing, and seems to be very well-made.

Anyone know where to buy these? I read somewhere they are $139. Would be a stretch for me, but it looks soo nice.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back