Headphone Amp vs Integrated Amp
Apr 26, 2003 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 9
A headphone amp circuit is designed to drive headphones only and typically has a limited number inputs....sometimes only a single input. An integrated amp is a combination power amp and preamp, has multiple inputs, has sufficient power to drive speakers, has speaker terminals, and may or may not have a headphone jack.

Apr 26, 2003 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 9
its generally thought that integrated amps headphone's socket doesn't sound as good as a proper dedicated amp. My Technics MOS Class AA (don't why they call it that) does have a reasonable ones but i don't they're made anymore. A lot of headphone amps can also be used as preamps as well, so you could get a really good power amp and really good headphone/preamp for the best possible sound!

g

Apr 26, 2003 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 9
I have some very high quality monoblock amps. Can I connect the speaker outputs of the monoblocks to a high quality 1/4" Neutrik connector, and use them as a (high/over powered) headphone amp?

I would use all high-end parts (Cardas from monoblock to Neutrik, high quality Neutrik jack, shielded case for Neutrik).

Has anyone ever tried this?

Apr 26, 2003 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 9
By all means, give it a go...
very_evil_smiley.gif

[size=xx-small]Use cheap headphones the first time around, though[/size]

Apr 26, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 9
i-1.JPG

Old Ebay Ad Selling Bryston 2-Way Speaker Switch With Headphone ...
i-2.JPG

I have a Bryston 2 way speaker switch box (allows to connect 2 pairs of speakers to amp). It gets it's signal from the amp's speaker binding posts ....and it has a headphone jack.

I used one for headphone listening off the back of a Krell KSA-80B amp (plenty of current for headphones !) and it did a very good job.

Might be expensive new, or even on Ebay, but you might happen upon one at a good price somewhere ?

M.

Apr 26, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 9
the atoll IN-100 integrated amp is said to have an outstanding headphone jack. It is reviewed in the April stereophile mag. Its in the "sams space". He used both grado rs1, and senn. hd600 headphones. I've never heard this amp myself. It sells for 925.00. They make two lesser models also, the IN80 and IN50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back