Headphone amp Upgrade ( k3 and Atom ??)
Jan 23, 2019 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

NemoReborn

100+ Head-Fier
hi there !!! i need the expertise of you all ..

i currently own the Fiio k3 since my full2 died after 2 years ( what a piece of crap ) .. but it sounded great minus the channel imbalance and the crazy Pot noise ...

so i bought a fiio k3 . love it so far , sound great .. but lack output.

so id like to upgrade my deaktop gear and use the Still use the DFR at work on laptop. I was going to buy JDS labs ATOM amp since ive read alot of good review ( good sound/good output impedance/ability to drive 600 ohm cans )

my concern is more about the dac ... should i keep the k3 and use it with Atom as a dac only or get a dedicated dac ? does it worth it ? i was thinking about topping d10/d30 ? or maybe get the dx3 pro combo... but i know this combo will give me less output watts than the others option.

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 5
hi there !!! i need the expertise of you all ..
i currently own the FiiO K3 since my Fulla 2 died after 2 years ( what a piece of crap ) .. but it sounded great minus the channel imbalance and the crazy Pot noise ...
so i bought a FiiO K3 . love it so far , sound great .. but lack output.
so id like to upgrade my desktop gear and use the Still use the DFR at work on laptop. I was going to buy JDS labs ATOM amp since I've read a lot of good review ( good sound/good output impedance/ability to drive 600 ohm cans )
my concern is more about the dac ... should i keep the K3 and use it with Atom as a DAC only or get a dedicated DAC ? does it worth it ? i was thinking about Topping D10/D30 ? or maybe get the DX3 pro combo... but i know this combo will give me less output watts than the others option.

For now, you should be fine using the FiiO K3 as a DAC.

Jan 26, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 5
My concern with the K3 is the line out being variable. Do i need to max the K3 volume when using it as a DAC???
Yea, max out the volume on the source (PC), max out the volume control on the K3, and use the headphone amplifier (Atom) to control volume.
The idea is to send the strongest signal thru the chain.
And turn the Atom volume way down (or off) before uping the volume controls on the PC & K3.
If you decide to use lower (like 75%) then max volume on the PC or K3, you should still be fine.
If you decide you prefer using the Windows OS audio controls (over the Atom) for changing volume, your still ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back