Headphone + Amp Recommendation
Jul 26, 2023 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

frapos

New Head-Fier
I would like to have some help choosing what pair of headphones an amp for my desk. I already have the DAC, a Fiio M9
My budget total is 600€ (or 700€ if worthy :))

I will use them at my room, which is very quiet and since I live in a cold country, overheating of my ears is never an issue for me

I listen to many genres, so I will better describe my music as energetic, emotional and harmonic.
here are my sound prefetences:

-Wide soundstage, as big as possible but not without sounding like a wall of sound you know (?)

-Great instrument separation and great Dynamics for complex instrumentations

-Unprecise imaging is not an issue. I don’t game so as long as tracks and instruments are separated is good.

-crisp and clear highs but not sparkly and fatiguing. (specially the lower mids 4KHz, I am specially sensitive to that frecuency)

-In the mids I like a natural timbre and great definition on male voices and acoustic instruments. I have a pair of Marshall speakers with a very natural timbre that makes me say ”What? Are the guitar player and the singer here?”, I want that xD

-I like bass with great definition, not oversaturated but punchy, and with great extension to the sub-bass.
I don’t like a bump in the bass and mid bass, but I reckon I could fix it with EQ
What it can’t be fixed with EQ is bad definition and lacking subbass :/

I hope I was clear enough. Let’s see what it’s possible with this Budget, as I believe im asking too much for the price…

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 19
Within your budget I'd recommend a Hifiman Edition XS + a THX amplifier like the Drop THX 789 or the Monoprice THX 887. I personally have that combo and I have similar sound preferences to yours. Another option if you prefer a dynamic driver headphone is finding yourself a used Focal Elex.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 19
Within your budget I'd recommend a Hifiman Edition XS + a THX amplifier like the Drop THX 789 or the Monoprice THX 887. I personally have that combo and I have similar sound preferences to yours. Another option if you prefer a dynamic driver headphone is finding yourself a used Focal Elex.
Thank you for the recommendation. What’s that special about the THX Amp?

Jul 28, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 19
Also, I see that the Edition XS fits pretty much with what I want. Just a little of EQ boosting in the 1khz and it will be perfect.

i heard that the mid bass is really good even thought it’s a bit colored. I am always scared when I hear about mid bass because it usually means boomy compacted sound.

Jul 28, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 19
Thank you for the recommendation. What’s that special about the THX Amp?
They're cheap for the power offered and measure really well, that's why most like them.

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #14 of 19
Although these are closed, I found the Focal Elegia refurbished for 500€. I have heard only good things about that brand, how do they perform?
You may be able to import them for less, though after duties and fees I don't know if it's still worth it. They regularly go on sale in the US for $300-400 and can be found used in great shape for $300 or so pretty much constantly as a result.

They're very good, but kind of... I don't know, bland? If you're okay with EQ I'd definitely give them a shot, since you seem to be looking for more of a neutral signature anyway. Not a lot of power required, so they do well with just about any source. They are fairly resolving and do benefit from being paired with a quality amp and DAC, of course. I can hear a significant difference in sound quality between the little no name USB C to 3.5mm dongle DACs I keep around for convenience, the Hidizs DH80S, the Topping G5, and the D90/A90 stack. The higher end gear offers a major improvement (less harsh, black background, more detail, tighter and fuller bass), but they aren't "unlistenable" even from the weakest sources, unlike say planars or estats.

They are closed backs, when you seemed to be looking mostly for open, but they sound fairly "open" for a closed back, to my ear. Also very comfortable and well built.

Focal did have issues with driver failures for a while there. I think it was mostly with the Elex (and possibly Utopia?), never saw a lot of reports about the Elegia specifically, but something to be aware of. I haven't personally had any issues.

Nothing wrong with the Elegia, and probably great as an only or primary pair, but given I have so many options (and some of the others suit my preferences better these days) they don't get much head time here.

I will say that the stock cable is garbage, if you get the older "lamp cord" style one. Budget something for a replacement. Given they require very little power there isn't much benefit from going balanced.

There's a fairly active thread here and plenty of reviews you can check out if you're seriously considering them.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #15 of 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back