Headphone Amp Recommendation for Meze Empyrean
Jan 18, 2021 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

SludgeSwan

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a headphone amp for my recently ordered Meze Empyrean.
At my homeoffice workspace, I'm already using the Topping D90 MQA + Topping A90 combo, on which I also tested the Empyrean. I really like this combination and will definitely keep it.

At my living room listening space, I used a Burson Soloist so far (with Audeze LCD-2 rev.2), but didn't like the combination with the Empyrean - bass was too bloated, soundstage too narrow, and especially vocals too much recessed for my taste... so now I've sold the Soloist and am looking for a replacement.

For digital audio, the new amp will be hooked up to a SMSL M500 MQA DAC, although I might decide to sell it if a combined DAC+amp sounds much better than pairing the M500 with a separate amp. Analog audio comes from a Rega P7 connected to a Lehmann Black Cube SE, so the replacement for the Soloist definitely needs a normal RCA line in.

I'm listening to a wide range of genres, including Metal, Electronic, Psychedelic Rock, and more recently also a lot of Jazz and a bit of Classical. I prefer a dynamic, fast, and fairly neutral sound with most genres, and really don't like bloated/boomy bass as well as flat and narrow soundstages. Hope that helps the hive-mind with giving me some recommendations!

Oh, I live in Germany and the amp should not break the bank - I'm looking for something in the area of max. 1000-1500 Euro new price, but it could also be a much cheaper option of course.
Many thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back