Headphone/amp recommendation <$250
Oct 5, 2014 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TrupiaL

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-fi,

my Senn HD 280 pro cushions are nearly done peeling off so i decided it might be time to move up.
the budget is under $200-$250.

i've been thinking about the fostex t50rp, and to mod them later.
and combine it with idk yet which amp.

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 7
i was thinking of getting the t50rp in addition to my hd280's pad also.
but now struggling on choosing an amp for the t50rp if its needed.

few possibilities im thinking of are:

-cmoy amp
-fiio e10k
-objective2 amp

ill be running them from my laptop, and my budget for amp would be probably around $100. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 7
Modding the t50rp yourself is a pretty big task. When you consider the cost of modding materials, time spent, etc. it might make more sense to get a ZMF or Mad Dog. I have ZMFs top model and it's fantastic. Haven't heard the cheaper models but they should be great as well. 

I would not recommend a cmoy or Fiio--probably not enough power. The Cayin C5 has loads of power for a portable amp. O2 would be fine as well. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 7
Actually I already ordered a stock t50rp $112 from ebay and an objective2 amp $119 from mayflower and they should be arriving in a few days. (hope i chose the right amp)
wanted the mad dogs or mayflowers but then i would have no money left for amp. Reading around i found a lot of mixed responds on amps.

so i guess after i get them and test them out for awhile ill hopefully get some basic mods going with the left over money :p

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #7 of 7
Headphone arrived! quick noob review/impression.

first impressions: build quality is ok. headband is comfy not too bad.
earpads are pretty flat, when adjusting headband gotta try to fit my ears perfectly.
my very first impression after taking it out of the box and quick test fit was actually disappointing.

clamping force surprised me, it does not clamp very hard or maybe i just got a small head. it scared the hell out of me.
so maybe doesnt seal very well for me.
but i found it to be pretty comfy after getting used to it.

sound impression: plugged directly to laptop and compared to my senn hd 280 pro.
have to crank the volume to around 60%-75% to get a loud bearable/enjoyable listening level.

but when i heard the t50, i was surprised and impressed. it sounded very nice overall, the highs were kinda rolled off, and had more emphasize on the mids and bass.
this thing had bass!, but of course not the mega low bass thump.

i guess the hd280s got a little more details in certain things due to having more highs/treble? some of sibilance, and no bass.
while the t50 loses some detail but got more lower mids and some bass.

amp didnt arrive yet, to test it out....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back