Headphone amp ranking
Sep 20, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #16 of 42
You really can't go wrong with the B22, assuming you want a wire with gain.
I've heard the ZD; nice, clean, non-tubey amp but I don't love tubes regardless.
I've heard the Phoenix - comes close to or maybe equals the B22.
I haven't heard the GSX - it's a bit overpriced compared to the B22 (betas go between $1,XXX and $3000) but it's supported by a manufacturer and is a nice wire with gain design if you don't want to deal with DIY.
I would stay away from the Apache and Rudistor - not great designs and overpriced in my opinion. Apache is class B. The Rudistors have a history of poor wiring and inflated specs.

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you had opportunities to audition the HD800s on good equipment? It isn't for everyone, and even the "best" theoretical setups can sound like garbage to you. You really can't judge based on recommendations. Not even the mighty Beta is everyone's favorite SS amp.

I heard some HD 800s with different Tubes and SS amps at canJam 2009.

And I was at ServinginEcuador place two times to hear his two set of balance HD 800s with stock and upgrade cables with his Phoenix and Ref one.
He helped me to balance my Denon AH7000, "Thanks again Dough".

After hearing Dough's HD 800 with the Phoenix and Ref1, I sold my AKG 702 ..... My denon AH7000 is nice with more bass but his balance HD800 with cable upgrade is so smooth and detail with the Phoenix and ref one.

The balance Phoenix + Ref one and HD 800 might not be everyone cups of tea, but there are many at the phoenix thread that love that set up.

The best is to be able to hear it with your own ears, but sometime is hard at some places, that why people come to this forum. I'm lucky that camjam is in LA this year and Dough offers to let be audit his gears and balance my Denon for free, Kudos to him.

If the OP can find someone or meets that he can try out the gears before buying .... that will be the Best.

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #19 of 42
Sep 20, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #20 of 42
You know what I've been wondering? Why do people like to pair the Phoenix with the Ref1 and the Beta22 with the Buffalo? There's other DACs out there. Some kinda imaginary DAC/amp synergy doesn't make up for a better DAC...

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaobao0707 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone for your kind reply. I'm now using my Senn HD-650 / Grado GS-1000 with a pair of Marantz CDP/amp which is not considered high-end. I also have an Earmax Pro. I love that tube sound. But I'm aware that it's not flawless the Earmax.

So the 2000$ will go to an excellent amp. I really what to go balanced. I've thought about a B22. But can anyone suggest an excellent builder in the EU ? for a balanced B22, I can even accept 2000 euros instead of 2000 dollars.

Otherwise, I saw the Audio-gd phoenix has got an excellent review here. I kinda prefer chinese products because I think they offer the best quality for the price.

Once again, thanks for taking your time to answer my tough question
biggrin.gif

It all come to personal taste. The kind of music you listen to plays a big role here. I guess you are Chinese as your user ID suguest. Do you listen to "Beyond", "Cui Jian", "Hei Bao", "Dao Lang" or "Cai Qin"? If you do, then tube amp is better. On the other hand, if you love hard rock, punk music, soild state is better.
I am Chinese myself. Love "Beyond", "Cui Jian", "Hei Bao", "Dao Lang" never big fan of " Cai Qin", but I do love female vocal, just not her style. I also listen to western morden hard rock as well as classical. For me, I would cross Headamp GS-X 2295$, Isabellina HPA 2500$, Luxman P-200 1500$ off the list 1st. GS-X sound thin, Luxman sound flat. Then cross off Cary SEI-300B, Cary SLI-80, because they are not designed for headphone as 1st order. They just can't compare to high end headphone amp. And then cross off AMB Beta 22 because it is a DIY project, I may end up more expensive than EC Zana Deux or WA22.

A balanced set up is a must if you want get max preformance out your rig. Even VPI makes balanced turntable. Yes, balanced set up is more expensive, but they are worthy the money.

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are considering a custom amp, be sure to consider the projects listed at HeadWize and at Pete Millett's site. There are wonderful amps that you can have built within your budget.

If you are looking for someone willing to build tube amps, go to your local store that sells electric guitars. They will also sell tubed guitar amps and will know at least technician that builds and repairs tube amps. There isn't a huge amount of difference between guitar amps and hi-fi amps. You can also look around for people who restore old radios; they will be able to build anything you want. You might also want to contact a local amateur radio club - they will have members who can build an amp for you.

Well I have to say that experience accounts ! Thanks for your invaluable suggestion. I'm ready to go out find somebody ! But today is a Sunday and all the french just rest at their home
confused_face.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by akg702 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the OP can find someone or meets that he can try out the gears before buying .... that will be the Best.

Well I have to say here in France it's a little bit difficult to audit high-end headphones. And everything is soooo ridiculously expensive. Can you imagin a GS-1000 at 1300euros ?

Sep 20, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It all come to personal taste. The kind of music you listen to plays a big role here. I guess you are Chinese as your user ID suguest. Do you listen to "Beyond", "Cui Jian", "Hei Bao", "Dao Lang" or "Cai Qin"? If you do, then tube amp is better. On the other hand, if you love hard rock, punk music, soild state is better.
I am Chinese myself. Love "Beyond", "Cui Jian", "Hei Bao", "Dao Lang" never big fan of " Cai Qin", but I do love female vocal, just not her style. I also listen to western morden hard rock as well as classical. For me, I would cross Headamp GS-X 2295$, Isabellina HPA 2500$, Luxman P-200 1500$ off the list 1st. GS-X sound thin, Luxman sound flat. Then cross off Cary SEI-300B, Cary SLI-80, because they are not designed for headphone as 1st order. They just can't compare to high end headphone amp. And then cross off AMB Beta 22 because it is a DIY project, I may end up more expensive than EC Zana Deux or WA22.

A balanced set up is a must if you want get max preformance out your rig. Even VPI makes balanced turntable. Yes, balanced set up is more expensive, but they are worthy the money.

Yes I'm a chinese
biggrin.gif

But I don't listen much to Chinese songs. just out of an old habit. mom wouldn't allow me to listen to music except for studying english, hence my flavor of music...

I'm currently intrigued by B22, phoenix. Sure to give an audition to audio-gd combos in the near future. And I'm interested in Zana Deux for a long time. Just won't buy anything before trying it, as Uncle Erik suggested.

Btw, VPI will be my next shoot
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Seamaster, you wrote above to discard the Isabellina HPA. May I ask why? I happen to own one and I find it a very good sounding DAC as well as a very nice headphone amp. Cheers.

I heard they sound too smooth with HD650. Not exciting, lack dynamic. (Not by much though)

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #29 of 42
Hey seamaster, come to the next seattle headfi meat in october. I will have the isabellina hpa there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back