headphone amp question
Jan 6, 2022 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

silvershadelynx

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I ordered a new headphone recently which I expect to receive today. It's a Audio-Technica ATH-R70X. It's impedance is 470 Ohms.

I want to use it both from my laptop, but also from my stereo system which consists of a Quad 66 pre-amp, Quad 606 MKII power amp, turntable, turntable pre-amp and Quad CD player, MiniDSP 2x4 HD and Denon integrated amplifier.

As both sources (CD player and turntable) are connected to the Quad 66 pre-amp, I would think that I need a separate headphone amp (as the Quad 66 has no headphone output) which needs to be connected to an output on the pre-amp. I've read some discussions here about which output would be the best option, either pre-out or tape-out. Personally I would think tape out would be the most practical option as pre-out is already in use and tape out has a constant output level.

But I'm not sure if my idea is correct. Any suggestions what would be the best option when it comes to sound quality and safety => I don't want to feed too high a signal into a headphone amplifier and risk destroying my headphone.

So to summarize: would I need a new (separate) headphone amplifier in my current system and if so, what would be the best option to connect it to my system?

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #2 of 9
Hi all,

I ordered a new headphone recently which I expect to receive today. It's a Audio-Technica ATH-R70X. It's impedance is 470 Ohms.

I want to use it both from my laptop, but also from my stereo system which consists of a Quad 66 pre-amp, Quad 606 MKII power amp, turntable, turntable pre-amp and Quad CD player, MiniDSP 2x4 HD and Denon integrated amplifier.

As both sources (CD player and turntable) are connected to the Quad 66 pre-amp, I would think that I need a separate headphone amp (as the Quad 66 has no headphone output) which needs to be connected to an output on the pre-amp. I've read some discussions here about which output would be the best option, either pre-out or tape-out. Personally I would think tape out would be the most practical option as pre-out is already in use and tape out has a constant output level.

But I'm not sure if my idea is correct. Any suggestions what would be the best option when it comes to sound quality and safety => I don't want to feed too high a signal into a headphone amplifier and risk destroying my headphone.

So to summarize: would I need a new (separate) headphone amplifier in my current system and if so, what would be the best option to connect it to my system?

Since there's no headphone output on your existing gear then you need a headphone amp in order to use headphones...unless you're going to use something like a Stax with a Stax Energizer unit that converts speaker amplifier output into power for electrostatic headphones.

If you're not using a Stax Energizer and Stax headphone, then just hook up a headphone amplifier to the tape out of your preamp.

Jan 14, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 9
Jan 15, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks again for your reply!

So I think I would like to buy a dedicated headphone amp. I prefer the looks of a tube amp, but I've read stories about blind testing where people were unable to hear differences.

So do you have any suggestions for a headphone amp? It should be able to drive my 470 ohms headphone and shoudn't be too expensive. I think the Bottlehead crack looks nice and I like the idea of a diy kit - but how would it compare to a solid state amp in the same price range?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 9
Hi @silvershadelynx , not trying to hijack this thread.. But I've got a fun entry level tube amp for sale with a bunch of tubes to play around with, and I'm located in the Netherlands. Not sure how far from the Dutch border you are, but you'd be welcome to audit the amp and some other (I have a small SS amp as well, and another tube amp) if you're willing to drive up here :)

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 9
Gotta love Head-Fi for this sort of real-world connection! @cinisi

I have no idea what actual measurements about distortion or power would be, but Denon is a very reputable manufacturer and makes its own widely praised headphones. If there's a headphone jack on the amp, it's probably all you need to drive *checking notes* headphones.

Jan 16, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 9
Hi @silvershadelynx , not trying to hijack this thread.. But I've got a fun entry level tube amp for sale with a bunch of tubes to play around with, and I'm located in the Netherlands. Not sure how far from the Dutch border you are, but you'd be welcome to audit the amp and some other (I have a small SS amp as well, and another tube amp) if you're willing to drive up here :)
Thanks for your offer! What town / area do you live in? I live in the north of Groningen... Can you tell me something about your amps? (model)

Jan 16, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 9
I have a modded DV336SE with 10+ tubes (which is for sale), an SW51+ tube amp, a dx3pro dac/amp (which is also for sale lol :) ). Will get a denafrips aresII DAC arriving next week.

I live in Alphen aan den Rijn

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back