Headphone amp/passive preamp w/multiple outputs and volume controls?
Oct 25, 2018 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kukkurovaca

1000+ Head-Fier
I know they make these for studio use, but I think those mostly have high output impedance. I know there are a number of headphone amps out there that have multiple outputs, but the ones I've seen all have just one volume control. (I mean, I understand that having separate volume controls would be well on the way to just putting two amps in one box.)

Alternatively, any inexpensive volume attenuator with low output impedance would work just as well. It would just be nice to be able to volume match different headphones/IEMs for comparison purposes.

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 8
Hi Kukkurovaca,

I suggest looking at the Presonus HP 4 for your needs, this is a good little inexpensive, good value head amp which I use mainly as a passthrough to send audio to a separate amp so I can run passive speakers.
The separate four channels on the HP 4 are good for comparing headphones / IEMs or if you & for three other people all want to listen to the same source through headphones, particularly at different volumes so you don't go deaf together or at the same time. :)
Not to mention, you can always daisy chain the HP 4 together with other HP 4s, to four in total if you have up to 16 people listening at once.

Also, most pro &/or studio head amps with multiple head outs generally average 50 ohms or less which isn't really that high.

Otherwise something like a monitor controller like the Drawmer MC 2.1 or a USB computer interface like the Focusrite Scarlett Series has at least two good head outs.

Also what works if you find a good inexpensive splitter, one head out can become many if necessary.

I'll be interested to see what you decide.

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 8
Hi Kukkurovaca,

I suggest looking at the Presonus HP 4 for your needs, this is a good little inexpensive, good value head amp which I use mainly as a passthrough to send audio to a separate amp so I can run passive speakers.
The separate four channels on the HP 4 are good for comparing headphones / IEMs or if you & for three other people all want to listen to the same source through headphones, particularly at different volumes so you don't go deaf together or at the same time. :)
Not to mention, you can always daisy chain the HP 4 together with other HP 4s, to four in total if you have up to 16 people listening at once.

Also, most pro &/or studio head amps with multiple head outs generally average 50 ohms or less which isn't really that high.

Otherwise something like a monitor controller like the Drawmer MC 2.1 or a USB computer interface like the Focusrite Scarlett Series has at least two good head outs.

Also what works if you find a good inexpensive splitter, one head out can become many if necessary.

I'll be interested to see what you decide.

Nice, thanks! Poking around on B&H and checking specs, it looks like there are a couple of similar options with a bit lower output impedance. The Rolls HA243 might be a good option, will look about a bit more for reviews.

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 8
I know they make these for studio use, but I think those mostly have high output impedance. I know there are a number of headphone amps out there that have multiple outputs, but the ones I've seen all have just one volume control. (I mean, I understand that having separate volume controls would be well on the way to just putting two amps in one box.)
Alternatively, any inexpensive volume attenuator with low output impedance would work just as well. It would just be nice to be able to volume match different headphones/IEMs for comparison purposes.
Budget?

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #6 of 8
Hi @kukkurovaca,

Happy to help though I forgot to mention, aside from B&H, check pro audio places in your area for advice as well & good if not better deals than B&H.

Be interested to know how you go & if you need more, let me know.

Hope you have a great day !

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 8
I would connect a Art headamp 4 pro (4 headphone outputs) to the Rme Adi 2 pro if I want to see a movie with 4 people. I could also use speakers but they are connected to a tube amplifier. But those lamps need replacement in time and the tube amp consumes a lot of energy compared to a headamp.

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #8 of 8
I would connect a Art headamp 4 pro (4 headphone outputs) to the Rme Adi 2 pro if I want to see a movie with 4 people. I could also use speakers but they are connected to a tube amplifier. But those lamps need replacement in time and the tube amp consumes a lot of energy compared to a headamp.
I would connect a Grado Ps1000e, a HD600 and a Beyerdynamic T1.2 to it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back