Headphone amp or old receiver?
Aug 29, 2012 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

creepy crab

New Head-Fier
Hi, this should just be a quick question. I'm looking at getting into vinyl and for cheaply at first untill i know its going to stick...I've found cheap turntables in abundance and from reviews have a good idea about what to go for. My question is, should i go for an old receiver and plug headphones directly into that, or can i get a headphone amp that will do the job. so go turntable>headphone amp>headphones, or turntable>receiver>headphones. Or do i need to do something that I've missed out. Totally new to this kind of thing. To clarify, I want to listen to the set up exclusively on headphones. Thanks

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 15
A receiver's headphone jack can have a high impedance, so a low Ohm headphone may not work to it's best.
What headphones are you using?

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
A receiver's headphone jack can have a high impedance, so a low Ohm headphone may not work to it's best.
What headphones are you using?

I was planning on using Alessandro MS1i which I'm within a couple of days of ordering. I also have XB500s and Fanny wang on ears (for bass head mood and portability respectively). I'm pretty open to how i set it up I just don't want to spend loads of money until I know I'm going to stick with the vinyl thing. It's also inevitable that my headphone collection will grow significantly in the next 12 months. Thanks

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

I was planning on using Alessandro MS1i which I'm within a couple of days of ordering. I also have XB500s and Fanny wang on ears (for bass head mood and portability respectively). I'm pretty open to how i set it up I just don't want to spend loads of money until I know I'm going to stick with the vinyl thing. It's also inevitable that my headphone collection will grow significantly in the next 12 months. Thanks

MS1i and XB500 (only 24-Ohm) are low Ohm headphones, so a receiver is not going to be a good choice.
The O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifier would be better then a receiver.

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #8 of 15
I've not really looked at amps before, but the O2 seems expensive to the UK and not readily available. just doing a quick google search for amps suited to low ohm headphones, would something like the FiiO E10 do the same job? Appropriate inputs for a turntable etc? cheers

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Yeah having spent the afternoon educating myself, I think I'll need to go turntable>preamp>amp>headphones. this is fine though because there are some really wallet friendly pre-amps around.

You can actually have it either way, just that the modern amp is more cleaner sounding and accurate to the source.
A receiver with a headphone out can also sound really good(not in the accurate way but nice warm sound) with low impedance phone and provides a phono input too. Its really a matter of taste

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
You can actually have it either way, just that the modern amp is more cleaner sounding and accurate to the source.
A receiver with a headphone out can also sound really good(not in the accurate way but nice warm sound) with low impedance phone and provides a phono input too. Its really a matter of taste

That's interesting. Suppose it's just a bit hit and miss buying an old receiver and seeing if you like the sound! out of interest, would a more modern receiver (say 90s) have a lower impedance from the headphone jack?

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
That's interesting. Suppose it's just a bit hit and miss buying an old receiver and seeing if you like the sound! out of interest, would a more modern receiver (say 90s) have a lower impedance from the headphone jack?

I have really limited experience with older receivers, but I would say there is little chance of find one with a low impedance for the headphone jack.
I've never seem any listing anywhere for what receivers come with what impedance anyway.
I would think in the old days there would have been very little (if any) demand for using low impedance headphones with receivers.
Your XB500s seem to really be designed for use with a portable audio player

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
I have really limited experience with older receivers, but I would say there is little chance of find one with a low impedance for the headphone jack.
I've never seem any listing anywhere for what receivers come with what impedance anyway.
I would think in the old days there would have been very little (if any) demand for using low impedance headphones with receivers.
Your XB500s seem to really be designed for use with a portable audio player

Yeah no doubt about the XB500s. I'm buying the Alessandro MS1is as stay at home phones though. I doubt I'd use the sonys with the vinyl often if at all. The MS1is are 32 ohm which should be a bit better i presume. And if i decide to stick with vinyl then i can buy more appropriate headphones as and when.

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #15 of 15
It depends on the receiver in question, naturally.

I will say this, though: if you want to get into electrostatics, it's a LOT cheaper to get a receiver and a transformer box than a dedicated Stax amp. Most of the cheaper sets come bundled with transformer boxes anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back