headphone amp or dac?
Jul 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

yoyo59

100+ Head-Fier
Im currently using my essence st for a headphone amp, but soon I will be using a imac so all my pc gear will be sold.. I would like to use fidelia as my music player in os x, what would you suggest to connect to the imac for better SQ , dac or amp not sure! will be using hd 600 and k701s - thanks

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 6
You could get an inexpensive DAC, but you'll probably need an amp with some juice for your k701s. Maybe look into getting a used/new Schiit Valhalla or Lyr.

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 6
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this audio stuffs, and have been reading since few months ago when I was deciding to get a HD555 (which Wows me when I first heard it). And now I have a pretty much similar problem to the thread owner, so I'd figured that I should not make a new thread. 

I've got a new budget for audio and I'm looking to get a pair of HD600s after reading opinions here. I understand that I would need an amp to drive it well, and after some reading, I'm pretty much sold on Schiit Asgard which is said to have good synergy with HD600s. However, my sources are FLAC from laptop and an Ipod classic, so they wont be able to work directly with the Asgard, a USB dac would be needed. That would cost a lot more, but I'd like to keep amp+dac under $250, so that leads me to two options:

1. Get a used Schiit Asgard + a cheap USB DAC, and get a better DAC in the future.
2. Get a new NFB-12 DAC/AMP for the time being, and use it as DAC only when I can afford an amp in the future.

Appreciate any helps or opinions! Thanks in advance!

Yik

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 6
Umm the Xonar ST is actually a pretty sweet source already. You just have to upgrade the opamp section and you should be pleasantly surprised. My soundcard wasn't socketed but yours is so it's as simple as operating a flathead screwdriver to pop them out. My soundcard sounds better than some desktop dac/amp setups!

My recommendation is to use LME49720NA-ND

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LME49720.html#Overview

MAGNIFICENT upgrade!

It was what was included in the "Opamp upgrade" kit that they overpriced and sold for the Xonar. Definitely consider doing this before spending hundreds on a new headphone amp. The source isn't bad and the card is built to rather high standards. Just upgrade the opamps and you'll clean up the tone a bit.

Here is the thread concerning it:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/543175/asus-opamp-upgrade-kit

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 6
£500, I was thinking maybe an apogee duet? not sure though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back