Headphone & Amp Impedance Questions? Find the answers here!
Jun 28, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #497 of 524
Why do company's make some very high impedance headphones (compared to average) what are the benefits?
Impedances used to be higher in the past in general. Portable audio has generated the need for lower impedances.

High impedances => home use (because there is plenty of voltage available)
Low impedances => portable use (because available voltage level is limited)

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #498 of 524
In one niche part of the market, ridiculously non standard impedances are used to force consumers to buy the same brand of amp as headphones.

Jun 28, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #499 of 524
Impedances used to be higher in the past in general. Portable audio has generated the need for lower impedances.

Yes I get that. So headphones for home use sound better? If not why such a high impedance?

In one niche part of the market, ridiculously non standard impedances are used to force consumers to buy the same brand of amp as headphones.

Sounds very likely. Stax headphones need their own amps (preferably), or are electrostatics completely different?

Jun 28, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #500 of 524
Higher impedance doesn't necessarily mean better sound. I have Oppo PM-1s and they have low impedance and high sensitivity so they don't require amping at all and they sound great. You can shop around and find a set of cans that fits what you want it to fit.

Some IEMs require proprietary amps too. I wouldn't buy non-standard stuff like that myself.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #501 of 524
I went to a local shop a few years ago to try out some headphones and one set were Oppo PM2's. I only had a short listen and they weren't very loud (though I was driving them with a Dap) but they left an impression and I hoped to pick up a pair on offer but they quickly sold out everywhere.

Jun 28, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #502 of 524
That's a different model. The PM-1s were the flagship model, the PM-2s was the midrange one. They aren't being made any more. But if you shop around, you can find good sounding cans that shouldn't require amping.

Jun 28, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #504 of 524
Not sure because I've never seen the PM-2s, but I think they have different specs.

Jun 28, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #505 of 524
Why do company's make some very high impedance headphones (compared to average) what are the benefits?

I thought the reasons for high impedances were a) in lieu of an actual headphone amp, home receivers used to have a resistor off of the main power amp circuit which could power headphones; and b) studios often use multiple headphones in parallel, so high impedance is necessary to keep the resultant impedance from being too low and presenting a difficult load for the amp.

Somebody more knowledgeable please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Jun 28, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #506 of 524
I thought the reasons for high impedances were b) studios often use multiple headphones in parallel, so high impedance is necessary to keep the resultant impedance from being too low and presenting a difficult load for the amp.

If you're correct this would answer my question as manufacturer's can make headphones practically any impedance they want for home use and higher impedance doesn't automatically equate to a superior sound as others have said.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #507 of 524
Yes I get that. So headphones for home use sound better? If not why such a high impedance?
Not really. Both can be good or bad. Audio amps often have high output impedance so it is a high impedance world while portable audio is low impedance world. I am sorry I don't have a better answer.

Jun 28, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #508 of 524
Not really. Both can be good or bad. Audio amps often have high output impedance so it is a high impedance world while portable audio is low impedance world. I am sorry I don't have a better answer.

Why not make them all 'low' impedance if they can all sound good (unless for reasons @megabigeye has stated) to not need such a big amp and save power?

Jun 28, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #509 of 524
Why not make them all 'low' impedance if they can all sound good (unless for reasons @megabigeye has stated) to not need such a big amp and save power?
I have this idea of headphones that can be used in low and high impedance mode: The headphones have double voice coil and depending on how the cable is attached to the phones (with special connector) the voice coils are connected electrically in series or in parallel. For example using 70 Ω voice coils the impedance would be 35 Ω (parallel, for portable use) or 140 Ω (series, for home use).

Jun 28, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #510 of 524
Maybe because if they made headphones you could plug straight into your phone, they couldn't sell you an amp to go with it... and a DAC... And then they couldn't convince you to "upgrade" your amp and DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back