headphone amp ID request (picture inside)
Jul 6, 2001 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Holy Zoo

Head-Fier
Found this picture at headwize... anyone know what the amp on the top right is?

headamps.gif

thanks!

Jul 6, 2001 at 6:40 AM Post #4 of 15
Neruda, damn dude... can't win the next contest that way. hehaeh.

It's a McCormack Micro, from McCormack Audio in Fairfax, Va. They go for about $400 used. Consensus is it was good, but now there's much better for less. I personally haven't heard one, but it's design is unmistakable.
biggrin.gif

edit: jude's more awake

Jul 6, 2001 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Apheared
here's the co's site, although don't try finding this page thru the menus... you haveta know it's there... if you hit "home" or anything, use your history to get back to it.

http://www.mccormackaudio.com/micro-headphone.html

Do I dare ask you you happened to have a link to a hidden page on their website?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2001 at 2:29 PM Post #12 of 15
The bottom middle is the old Headroom Max.

Jul 6, 2001 at 7:05 PM Post #14 of 15
At HE01, Tyll (owner of Headroom), smiling happily as usual, told me that Headroom's solid-state amps drove McCormack's Headphone Drive out of the market -- apparently, they're being discontinued. From what I've heard from different people, the McCormack really wasn't such a good amp. When Headwize goes back up, I suggest people do a search on the McCormack.

For the $650 that would go into buying the McCormack, you could probably buy a Sugden Headmaster second-hand or spend an extra $100 or so on a new one from http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk..

Jul 6, 2001 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 15
I read that the McCormack sounded much better with Grado headphones than other headphones. Kind of like how the X-Cans sound great with Senns, but not Grados. The McCormack can also be used as a pre-amp. But, as others how already stated, it's no longer being produced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back