Headphone amp for Sennheisers - help
Jun 6, 2005 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

paolo99

New Head-Fier
I have 650s, 595s and 555s. I really want a headphone amp to give my integrated Cambridge Azur amp a kick up the arse. But I am soooo confused by all the threads on here. Do I need a Gilmore Lite or a Headsave Classic (not that they're made anymore)? I can spend up to about £300 ($550ish) although I'd really rather not spend that much. Please help. And, if you can, avoid jargon because I have a small brain that is already full.

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 17
Paolo,

You're right, there's a lot of choices when it comes to an amp. In my head the first decision to make is whether or not you want the amp to be portable (pocket sized), transportable (easily moved from place to place) or home based (not easily moved). Next up is whether not you care if it's battery powered, able to use batts or AC, or AC only. Note that these first two decisions are tied together somewhat. Next on the list of hurdles would be budget which you might as well couple with the concept of whether or not you want a commercial amp (Ray Samuels, Gilmore, Headroom, etc.) or if you're comfortable with one of the smaller builders like MisterX, thrice, and others who make custom DIY amps. Some would argue that you get better bang for your buck with the custom DIY's since those people have no overhead - me personally I have no idea if this is the case or not and I'd guess that no one really does.

If I were to list amps that I'd buy for my Senns if I was shopping it'd go something like this:

PPA V2 - pairs very well with the Senn house sound by extracting a bit more detail than something like the M3. Cost = $300 - $400, non portable, debateably transportable (depending on version).

M3 - nearly as well matched with the Senns and better with other types of phones (Grado, AKG, Ety, Shure). Again, maybe transportable depending on config chosen. Cost = $250 - $400.

Gimore Lite - based on what I've read this would be a good amp for Senns. I have no personal experience with this amp. Cost (I think) = $300ish.

Shellbrook Ascent - again, just based on what I've read. Cost = $300.

There are literally a ton of other, those are just my choices based on the fact that I want a wall powered amp (changing batteries gets real old for me) and I don't care if I can bring it anywhere.

Just my 0.02,

Nate

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 17
The Emmeline SR-71 and Corda HA-1 MKII are two very good solid-state amps to consider. Although I've never heard them side by side, they should be about equal in terms of sound quality (give or take depending on your preferred tonal characteristics) but the SR-71 is also a small-sized portable amp, albeit without AC option. The Corda on the other hand is a home amp with the so-called crossfeed circuitry (bypassable at will) which is to reduce listening fatigue for long-term listening. For less money, there's also the A.N.T. Ruby (160 pounds), which only came out recently and its manufacturer antonik is located in the UK. I was able to audition the Ruby at home and was very surprised by this excellent bang for the buck. Although not quite as good as the SR-71 in my opinion, it is priced more competitively ($100 less) and is a home amp with AC option. Of course, there's also a whole palette of tube amps to consider. If you're willing to slightly extend your budget, I was very fond of the Singlepower PPX3.

Edit: In the end, it will most likely be a leap of faith unless you can audition the amps in beforehand. Most of the amps recommended on this forum are highly capable and the differences between them usually lie in a different tone or different priorities (for example transparency over a smooth sound) rather than substantial qualitative differences over a given set of criteria although they do exist occasionally. Since choosing the proper amp really depends on one's preferences, it'd be helpful to know what kind of sound you're looking for.

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
For less money, there's also the A.N.T. Ruby (160 pounds), which only came out recently and its manufacturer antonik is located in the UK. I was able to audition the Ruby at home and was very surprised by this excellent bang for the buck. Although not quite as good as the SR-71 in my opinion, it is priced more competitively ($100 less) and is a home amp with AC option.

Thanks. Just tried to find Antonik but was unable to - do you have any leads for them? As for sound, well, that's a tough one. Although I write about music for a living I'm not too good at describing the way audio equipment sounds. All this stuff about 'transparency" and "veiling" leaves me scratching my head in puzzlement. I guess I want the sound to be involving in that if I tried to pin down the sound it would just draw me further into the music. Most of the music I listen to is contemporary rock and pop, with some hip-hop, soul, country and folk thrown in.

Jun 6, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 17
For the custom DIY stuff I must admit that I don't know all the builders so you may wish to look beyond the recommendations that I make.

That said I've had great dealings with both thrice and MisterX. I haven't bought an amp from either but I've had business dealings with them enough to know there character and as you'll see from pictures of their work they are both quality amp builders. Thrice has a Mall-Fi add and can be found at www.rockhopperaudio.com, you'll just have to PM MisterX to get more info. If you track down the PPA and M3 web sites they may have a list of builders.

Shellbrook Audio is at www.shellbrooklab.com and the Gilmore amps can be found at www.headamp.com (which oddly isn't working right now). Both of these are small scale commercial builders.

Hope that helps,

Nate

Jun 6, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 17
Jun 7, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mega
Id recommend a Gilmore Lite for your Senn's. IMO. They compliment my HD-650's very well.

i agree.

Jun 7, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 17
I personally prefer tubes way over SS amps, therefore I through in a recommendation for the WooAudio3

www.wooaudio.com

Jun 8, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #12 of 17
Ive had the same question as you and many people Suggest either the PPA (maxed for more fun times), or M3. Im hoping to get a home based amp added to my arsenal, i only have my supermacro right now

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #13 of 17
Everyone will recommend different amps based on what is pleasing to each persons ear. The best advice I can give you is (if you can afford it) to double order and do a side which is what I did with the Headroom Supreme and the SR-71. Both Ray and Headroom and very cool about taking a return so keep the one you like best, after all that's what you'd do if you were to demo each one in a Best Buy or Good Guys. I also have the HD650's and listen to similar music and in your price range you should be very happy with an amp from either Ray or Headroom. I have not heard the others mentioned here so can not comment but Ray Samuels and Headroom put out excellent products. Good luck!

Jun 9, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #14 of 17
For the 650's at least, i have always love tubes. The higher output impedance on tube amps matches much better with high impedance cans like the 650's, thereby driving them much more efficiently than my solid state offerings i have auditioned. For that price, you can't beat the eddie current, how he makes those products at that price point is beyond my comprehensions because they sound so darn good, i believe the hd25 is at $595, but the hd300 is at 495.

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #15 of 17
I also have the senn hd650's and the SR-71 and I can honestly say that it is a knockout combination. Living in the UK, I was nervous about importing them over from the States, but the customer service you get from Ray is top-class! The other amp which I have which goes well with the 650s is the Rega Ear, an AC-powered amp which cost me £140 new. I believe it was specifically designed to complement the Senn sound. Hope this helps.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back