Headphone AMP for QUALIA 010
Dec 15, 2004 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

soundmania

Member of the Trade: Sony QUALIA
Anyone have any experience with Headroom headphone amps?
Can anyone recommend good headphone amp for the Qualia 010?

What headphones would you consider in league with the 010 when it comes to the quality of the sound?

Dec 15, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 25
Perhaps a topic for the Amplifiers forum? But to answer your question, I have personally never heard the "perfect" synergy, but according to the Search engine, others have, with the following amps:

Cary 300SEI (i believe that amp was modded tho)

Singlepower Supra (needed correct/working tubes at the time tho)

Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline "The Stealth" (a tube amp with a Solid State mojo)

Rudistor RP010 - (made just for the Qualia 010 I believe).

Anyone else chime in on amps they've heard with the 010 themselves? I feel bad just regurgitating info on combos i haven't personally heard. (private thumbs up for the Graham Slee GSP Audio Solo Monitor Headphone amp with the 010 - go Solid State!)

Dec 16, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 25
They're both out of my snack-bracket, but if I was looking at a Qualia I'd be thinking Blockhead if I was considering a Headroom amp. Why scrimp at that level?

Dec 16, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 25
Soundmania --

Rudistor RP010 was created by Rudi's as his flagship amp for the Q010 -- which headfier Nik (proud owner of it) declares is the best in existence to date for the Q010. Rudi offers a few more affordable amps that have been reported to perform well with the Qualias -- RP31, RP33 Dual-Mono, and RP6-DQ "... developed to perfectly join with new SONY QUALIA 010 headphone and to all the new future hi sensitive family of headphones" [copied from Rudi's site].

I am in no way touting Rudi's gearand everything above is pure hearsay for me so far, but a few of us meeting at immtbiker's Jan. 30 may have at least 1 or 2 of those amps to audition with 2 pair of Q010s. I have personally heard the Cary300SEI that Jahn mentioned (at same mini-meet Jahn attended), through a Philips SACD1000 and Meitner DAC-6E ... and the Qualia sound great -- richly textured, dimensional, spacious, etc. We're anxiously waiting for Jan. 30 to roll around so we can hear the Qs through more great systems.

Look at rudistor.com.

Also look through our January Qualia mini-meet thread at the following link, to get an idea of what gear will be there and some related comments:

Jan. Q-mini-meet

An example (with other top phones for comparison) -- bozebuttons offerings for the meet -- Headamp Kgss Blackgated/&or Singlepower 2 box electrostatic amp., R10s, Senn He90s, Stax OmegaIIs, Exactpower ep15a power conditioner, PS audio HC ultimate outlet

Dec 16, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by OracleGuy
They're both out of my snack-bracket, but if I was looking at a Qualia I'd be thinking Blockhead if I was considering a Headroom amp. Why scrimp at that level?

the headamp gilmore balanced reference is said to be better, and costs less than half the price for a standard model.

also, a balanced dynahi (or even a standard unbalanced configuration) is probably an even better match.

I haven't heard any of these combos yet, but might very soon.
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 25
ayt999 -- or anyone -- personally heard Channel Islands Audio headamp, with Qualia or other, such as K1000 - K501 - etc.?

Dec 16, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 25
...moved to the amp section...

Dec 16, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
ayt999 -- or anyone -- personally heard Channel Islands Audio headamp, with Qualia or other, such as K1000 - K501 - etc.?

no.

don't even know what a Channel Islands Audio headamp is.
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2004 at 9:56 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundmania
Anyone have any experience with Headroom headphone amps?
Can anyone recommend good headphone amp for the Qualia 010?

What headphones would you consider in league with the 010 when it comes to the quality of the sound?

In my experience, the RP010 is the better matched amp for the Qualia 010. I tested others amp like the RP6 (hybrid) and the RP33... I think that the Qualia prefers SS amps, so the RP33 would be a very good amp for them, better than any other hybrid.

I also test the EAR HP4 and the Singlepower MPX3... but the difference with the RP010 are of light years...

The RP010 (as you can read in the Rudistor page) was built thinking to the sound and the specs of the Qualia 010.

If you are looking for a not so neutral sound (colored) you do not need to buy a Qualia, this is the reason because the Qualia needs SS (more neutral) amps.

Best!
Nicola

Dec 16, 2004 at 11:07 AM Post #11 of 25
Nik - have you tested other SS amps that can be considered in the same class as the RP010 with the 010?

Dec 16, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #12 of 25
I had the privilege of hearing Qualia with the RP010, and the combo sounded "pretty"
blink.gif
good

j|!

Dec 16, 2004 at 2:23 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
Nik - have you tested other SS amps that can be considered in the same class as the RP010 with the 010?

The RP010 (even not considering the Qualia 010) is the best headphone amp I ever had !

Best!
Nicola

Dec 16, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #14 of 25
Has anyone have experience with Ray Samuel Stealth Pre-Amp/Headphone Amp? Not only with the Qualia 010 but with any headphone. Just looking into buying an AMP the Rudistor takes 20 to 30 days before it arrives. So please let me know if you can give me any more advice. Thanks all.

Dec 16, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundmania
Has anyone have experience with Ray Samuel Stealth Pre-Amp/Headphone Amp? Not only with the Qualia 010 but with any headphone. Just looking into buying an AMP the Rudistor takes 20 to 30 days before it arrives. So please let me know if you can give me any more advice. Thanks all.

I have heard the Sony R-10 sound in its element with a Stealth when some old stock 6SN7s were used. I prefer the Singlepower amps though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back