Headphone AMP for iPhone 5?
Jun 6, 2014 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kemperkipie

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I can't really find my way on this forum yet, and didn't find a sticky.
So I'm here to ask it right away.

I currently own Shure SE535 in-ears with molded fittings. I'm very pleased of the quality.
When I'm at home, I play music with a laptop through my external soundcard (Asus Xonar U7 Echolon) with build-in headphone AMP.

However, when I travel, or mostly on different location than home, I only have my iPhone 5 to play music (I do however play ALAC files, converted from FLACs).
When I play on my iPhone 5, I don't have access to a decent equalizer or anything to adjust the sound output. 

I want to be able to boost the bass, without muffling the other sounds. Which I do on my laptop, but isn't possible on my iPhone.
What do I need to buy, or change to get this?

Is this possible with a portable headphone AMP which is compatible with iPhone 5? Or what else?

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 11
FiiO E11 portable headphone amplifier, comes with bass boost.

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 11
I use the Denon music player it has a really good paramatric EQ.

You shouldn't need an amp with those IEMs and the iPhone.  They should be plenty loud... IMHO.

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 11
  FiiO E11 portable headphone amplifier, comes with bass boost.

Sounds sweet
I looked on their site, what about the FiiO Kunlun E18? 
I like the full package, but I want to know if I can adjust the bass level. The booster seems nice, but doesn't really give me an impression of it's performance before I have bought it. 

Any one knows anything about it?

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 11
After looking further on FiiO's site, it appears they have much more. 
If price wouldn't be an issue, what would be my best shot?
My main purpose it to be able to control the bass at best, if possible, the entire frequency spectrum.

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 11
A little bit of an alternate view here. I had an E11 paired with my iPhone 5S. It sounded just fine, but I found the ergonomics of the pairing to be a bit unwieldy. The input and output jacks are close together and can make the on /off/volume knob difficult to access. I ended up returning it and picked up a used Vamp Verza through the classifieds here. Have been much happier with it and haven't looked back.

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 11
Ouch, the Sony is a bit too expensive.
I'm dutch so my currency is euros, and I am able to spend a €200,- tops on an AMP. Cheaper would be nice. 

I'm mainly buying one for the bass improvement, but I'm not very comfortable with pre-set bass boosts. I like the idea more of adjusting it myself. 
And with those AMP's, will the iPhone put a digital signal to it (lightning connector), or do I input analog through 3,5 Jack, and let the AMP also process the sound?

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 11
If you haven't already try the CanOpener App from the App store. Made a pretty substantial difference with my 535LTDs. If it's not your cup-o-tea you're only out like, $5. It's pretty cool and as mentioned above, you should be getting plenty of volume, you're just looking for tweakability, yeah?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back