Headphone amp for Grado SR80i?
Jun 20, 2014 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TheLastMan

New Head-Fier
Can somebody recommend a good headphone amplifier match for the Grado SR80i headphones?

I currently have an original Naim Headline with their basic NAPST power supply. This is being fed by the tape loop from a Naim NAC72/Hicap. The Headline was bought and used with some old closed back Sennheisers and Sonys to good effect.

However with the Grados it sounds very, very bright.  Bass is OK but the top end, particularly sibilants, is overpowering.  Can somebody recommend an amp with a better match for the Grados? Alternatively is it the Grados?

Ta.

Jun 20, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 4
The Neco Soundlab is a very good match for my SR80i's, it levels off the brightness without losing any focus. I would certainly recommend it as a relatively inexpensive but well performing amp.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #4 of 4
  Can somebody recommend a good headphone amplifier match for the Grado SR80i headphones?

I currently have an original Naim Headline with their basic NAPST power supply. This is being fed by the tape loop from a Naim NAC72/Hicap. The Headline was bought and used with some old closed back Sennheisers and Sonys to good effect.

However with the Grados it sounds very, very bright.  Bass is OK but the top end, particularly sibilants, is overpowering.  Can somebody recommend an amp with a better match for the Grados? Alternatively is it the Grados?

Ta.

It's the Grados. They are bright headphones. No amp is going to change that, at least not significantly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back