Headphone amp for Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon?
Jan 20, 2019 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Nimbu

New Head-Fier
I'm interested in trying a headphone amp for my Nighthawk Carbons. I'm currently powering them straight from the headphone jack on my Macbook Pro 2012 edition. I also own an Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 - but i think the Macbook actually sounds better.

I'm aware that i'm probably not extracting the full potential from my headphones and am willing to give a mid range DAC/AMP a try.

Music tastes: Mostly electronic music - House, Techno, Trance

I'm curious about the schiit products (heard good things about the jotunheim) and also tube amps (if it would be a good match for my headphones).

I enjoy a warm sound signature (it's what i love about the nighthawks).

Jan 21, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 10
I'm interested in trying a headphone amp for my Nighthawk Carbons. I'm currently powering them straight from the headphone jack on my Macbook Pro 2012 edition. I also own an Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 - but i think the Macbook actually sounds better.

Probably the higher damping factor on the lower output impedance Dragonfly. In other words you like a little bit of driver distortion out of having the Macbook's audio chip driving it.

I'm aware that i'm probably not extracting the full potential from my headphones and am willing to give a mid range DAC/AMP a try.

Assuming the 99dB/1mW sensitivity from Audioquest is accurate, the Dragonfly has almost 8x the power you need to hit 120dB peaks. Even with USB power, as long as it's getting the proper USB power, the Dragonfly will still have enough dynamic headroom for that headphone.

At the same time maybe a midrang DAC-HPamp might be better if it was a matter of how the Dragonfly was only a little bit better than the Macbook...but as it is, subjectively speaking, you prefer the Macbook, which has less power and likely has higher output impedance. At best, you can expect a smoother top end than the Dragonfly, but probably shouldn't expect more than that.

The problem with betting on higher output impedance amps is problematic and is more like gambling since not every amp reacts the same way to every headphone. In some cases it can boost the low end, in some cases it will boost the low end just a little bit, in some cases it will bost it but make it wobbly, in other cases it will make it sound like a tin can and what bass you can hear still sounds blurry, with some faster beats having the notes just blend into each other.

I'm curious about the schiit products (heard good things about the jotunheim) and also tube amps (if it would be a good match for my headphones).

I enjoy a warm sound signature (it's what i love about the nighthawks).

Schiits aren't exactly warm and some tube amps if transformer coupled could still have a higher damping factor and lower output impedance than the Macbook (and these amps are expensive), while cheaper OTL amps run the risk of ending up with weak and underfined bass.

At best look up any feedback on those particular headphones are with something like the Darkvoice DV336se but I wouldn't recommend buying it before any feedback from anyone that has actually tried them together.

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 10
Tons of great information and advice from @ProtegeManiac as usual!
I can't draw from his broad and deep experience but I can add that I am pairing my NightHawks and NightOwls with the CHORD Mojo and think it's an incredibly good DAC/Amp.
Using a different technology altogether it also sounds different. Musical, very deep soundstage, clean and smooth, detailed and always keeping the individual elements clearly separated.

I have since replaced my Stereo system DAC to a CHORD DAC and while I am open to new phones, I can't imagine letting go the Mojo. Mobile Joy really works :)

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 10
you could always buy the JDS labs EL AMP + EL DAC. i think that would be a good pair to have with the nighthawk carbon.
its decently priced for their power and delivery for amps+dac.

Jan 21, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 10
I owned these headphones for quite awhile and found a fantastic pairing was with a xDuoo XD-05. Even though it was portable, it bested my Aune and xDuoo TA-10 amps. I also listen only to EDM. The bass was fantastic but so were all the other frequencies.

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 10
@surfgeorge - Interesting...i've heard mixed opinions on the Chord Mojo. But you're the first that i know who has paired them with the Nighthawks.
I actually chose the NightHawks (and closed NightOwls) since those were the headphones the developer of the Chord DACs used himself for a few years, until he changed to the AEON closed.
I believe that the Chord DACs are the best for getting the most out of the recordings, like a fine art print of a photo.
Some other DACs like a HiBy R6 are bolder in their interpretation, like an HDR image, and some like that better. I let the headphones do the interpretation :)

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back