Headphone Amp for ATH-W5000/ATH-AD2000? maybe...
Apr 8, 2008 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LocrEpinS

Head-Fier
Hi all!

I currently have a decent setup that i'm more than happy with[Foobar DS(KS doesn't work for some reason
confused.gif
) -> M-Audio 192 -> C&C Box+(portable) -> ATH-AD2000/ATH-W5000], but i was wondering how much of a difference(say.. in %ages maybe?) should i expect from a decent desktop headphone amp?(I've heard they do make a difference but do note these cans are rated at 40ohms).

I've about no knowledge about amps besides hearing that the AT-HA5000(anyone know of a good place to get this? best i could find was ~AU1.5k shipped to aus) should work good with them.
Are there any anyone can recommend?

Many thx!

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 11
Ah, amps for the W5000/AD2000, my fifth favorite topic.

As to be expected , the AT-HA5000 matches the W5000 and also the AD2000 very well. It is only available in Japan-version 100V, so you might need a step-down transformer. A potentially better option than a transformer is a power regenerator that can output 100V.

I think the AD2000 is much less amp and source sensitive than the W5000. It sounds OK driven directly by an iPod, while the W5000 doesn't do well. The W5000 seems to be particularly source-sensitive.

I suspect the M-Audio 192 is a decent source, but I would recommend an external DAC before going for an expensive amp such as the AT-HA5000. I believe a better source will improve sound quality much more than adding an AT-HA5000 to your system. A source at the quality level of a Lavry DA10, for example, is a good beginning.
wink.gif

The G&W AT-F100 is an inexpensive amp (around US$225) that does OK with the AD2000 and W5000. It is less refined than the AT-HA5000, but is not too far behind considering the price difference. Tonality between the AT-HA5000 and AT-F100 is surprisingly similar. The HeadAmp Pico or a Meier Audio amp such as the Corda Aria should match OK with the AD2000, but maybe not as much with the W5000.

For the W5000, the AT-HA5000 is obviously an option, but I believe many members enjoy using the W5000 with a wide variety of amps. I prefer the AT-HA5000 over the limited number of amps I've tried, except the Zana Deux.

Whatever you decide, remember Source First! for the W5000, then amplification. Oh, and eventually also a headphone recable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 11
Like you mentioned i was expecting the W5000('still in transit) to be more picky about it's source/amp than the AD2000.
Though i hadn't really considered upgrading my source, i guess you're quite right about it being a good investment if i was ever considering the HA5000.

Just from a quick search the G&W AT-F100 seems a bit hard to get a hold of, no? The price is quite enticing though i have to admit.

Having a look at the Zana Deux amp and it's quite a beauty
wink.gif
. US1.9k is quite steep i'll have to admit.

I'll have to pass on the headphone recable however
tongue.gif
. Gotta keep all my cans portable
cool.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 11
i have both the AD2000/W5000. they are detailed without noticebale rolloff, but still very well controlled up top as to not be sibilant, for that reason a nicely detailed and transparant SS amp makes a good match. the w5000 is definitely more responsive to quality amping.

im a big fan of the Headamp GS-X but realistically i think the Gilmore lite and GS-1 would also work very well.
the RSA HR-2 and Apache are solid choices too but occasionally the W5000 can sound over colored from the lusher midrange of Rays amps, AT woodies tend to have their own voice from the start and dont need additonal help in that regard.

the Benchmark DAC1-USB has a built in headphone amp that works very well for the AD2000 which is truely an all-in-one solution, DAC1-USB is very good with the W5000 but they can still improve noticably with higher quality amplification. note that standard DAC1 is not directly usable with the 40ohm ATs because its headphone amp has too much gain, but the USB version includes a 10db attenuation jumper that allows for enough volume control.

the best i have heard the W5000 is using Meridian G08> Benchmark DAC1 > Headamp GS-X. the Meridian G08 directly to GS-X is amazing especially through speakers, but the DAC1 hyper detail and punchy bass really bring out dynamics to compliment the W5000 and let it stretch its true "Raffinato"
wink.gif

my recommendation for highest quality W5000 at the lowest cost would be the standard DAC1 ($1000) to the GS-1 ($750), i cant say for sure the Glite would improve much over the built in amp of the DAC1 USB, both those options are $300 over the non-USB DAC1.

i havnt heard the HA5000 yet but im sure its really good.

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 11
I gave both phones and find they work equally well with the Meier Opera or the Yamamoto HA-02.

I always use the Opera with cross feed on and find it gives a very smooth, controlled sound without loosing dynamics.
The Yamamoto gains by having a larger, more dimentional soundstage and maybe having just a little more punch suprisingly.

I do agree with those who say get your source right first as both phones are quite revealing and will show up any hiccups at the start of the chain.

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elephas, thanks for your information.
Can I ask which recables you did on your AD2000 and what qualities did it add over the stock cable ?

I'm planning to send my AD2000 to Enigma Audio for a balanced recable. I haven't heard a recabled AD2000 yet.

I have a stock W5000 and another W5000 recabled with an Enigma Audio Oracle balanced cable. I don't have a balanced amp yet (waiting 7 months and counting), so I use it with a dual-XLR to 1/4 adapter.

Comparing the two W5000's is easy and immediate with the AT-HA5000's dual outputs. I prefer the recabled W5000. There's a thread somewhere about this.

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 11
I second the vote for the GS-1. Excellent transparency, authority, whilst remaining neutral (without being sterile or overly bright, which would immediately plague the ears of any W5000 owner
wink.gif
).

A lot depends on a) your budget, and b) preference for solid state / tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back