Headphone Amp for around $150
Aug 20, 2007 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

VolkswagenFox

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering which headphone amp priced at around $150 would be right for me. I am using Shure E3c IEMs and on my 18th birthday I will get the Alessandro MS-1.
biggrin.gif
I was thinking about the XM4 and I really like the crossfeed feature. I really don't care for the bass boost function. I am also interested in the Headphonia but their site is down right now.
frown.gif
Anybody have a recommendation? Any input is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm using a 5g iPod as a source if that helps.

Aug 20, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 7
I recently bought a meier porta corda mkIII and am still amazed by how good it sounds. It seems that Jan finally cleared out the last of his stock of it, but you might be able to get it 2nd hand from the fs forums here, or perhaps theres other retailers that carry it? But the other amp in that price range that really intrigued me was the mseed spirit. I personally haven't heard it, but the people that have heard it have nothing but glowing reviews for it.

These two threads were recommended to me by a poster, and I suggest that you look through them as well. They really helped me make my decision on which amp to buy.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...t=portable+amp
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=252667

Whichever amp you go with, I hope you enjoy it as much as I am enjoying mine
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 7
The mSeed is a great amp and after debating the same 2 amps (the porta corda) I went the other way and got the mSeed. They are also sold out from the mSeed Labs site but still available at the same price from Audio Line Out.

The only drawback is the kind of goofy way it does external power if your not going battery-powered the majority of the time. Not a huge deal though, imo. It's not an especially sexy case which is probably why you get such a great-sounding amp at the price.

EDIT: Sorry. Read the OP closer and realized you want cross-feed . . . not on mSeed.

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 7
Not sure about the commissioned price, but I'd go for a mini cubed.

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #6 of 7
Go for the mSeed if you can still get it. Enjoyment in a little black box every day!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 7
I have an XM4.

I use it with SENN HD25 and MS1 headphones with a Iaudio 7 source.

I like the sound, though the Xfeed feature is a volume reducer, and therefore use it little (the Xfeed is nice for older, pre-90's music mostly - the "in thing" then seemed to be to put all the sound through one channel with some groups).

I did lend the XM4 to a coworker who uses a Apple source (the really small one - not into Apple, sorry) and he liked it with his IEMs.

As for the mSeed, I'm still debating how much I like mine (only a bit over 200 hours on it, though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back