Headphone Amp for a pure analog setup
Apr 12, 2012 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

me2621a

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, so I began my journey with a pair of HD600 headphones. I then, thanks to this forum, purchased a yulong d100 for my digital setup and it sounds great. Now I have begun to explore the world of vinyl and turntables and I love it.

Currently I have a music hall mf2.2, that runs into a cambridge audio 640p, which then runs into my onkyo 1008, which I listen to the headphone output through the HD600's. I feel like I might be missing something from the experience though. Does anyone have a headphone amplifier to recommend me for my pure analog setup. I was thinking maybe something with tubes, like a schiit valhalla. But I honestly don't know, any help or suggestions would be wonderful. As far as music goes, I am mostly listening to allot of classic rock (the who, Ozzy, Led Zepplin) as well as 80's, and some new indie pop (vampire weekend) and techno/electronic (trendemoller/daft punk). 

Thanks for your help

Oh and my budget ranges from about 250-400

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 7
Im also planning to upgrade amp for my HD600's. Was thinking on the Matrix M Stage

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 7
The onkyo already has an amp, right? 
If you want tube sound its ok, otherwise I doubt there's anything missing as you say.

Apr 13, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 7
This is something that I don't know, is the onkyo built in amp as good a discrete solution. I mean if it is then your absolutly right and I don't need to spend more money but if a deticated amp would give me more I would be interested. Any feedback on this would be great.

Apr 13, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 7
Well, going through some of the tests of the Onkyo, there doesn't seem to by anything wrong, the performance is excellent.
And you already use a preamp.
You can go for tubes if you just want to try something different and non solid state, but as far as solid state goes, its pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back