Headphone Amp for 2 headphones
Jan 7, 2023 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LuckyPantsu

100+ Head-Fier
Hello.
I’m curious about a headphone amp for my HD800 and second pair of cans. For now it’s Arya , but I’m going to try ZMF Caldera or buy Susa
So, I would like to know your opinions regarding the amp for these headphones.
I'm using Guatard R26 as DAC now.
Budget around 3k
For now I think about Trafomatic Head 2
Audio GD he9 mk2
Holo Audio Bliss
Balanced Beta

Jan 7, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 11
The Susvara is one of the most difficult headphones in the world to drive properly. Many current headphone amps that have gobs of power were designed with the Susvara and/or the Abyss 1266 in mind.

Some of these powerful amps can add hum when using high sensitivity headphones, so I would suggest deciding upon Susvara or Caldera prior to buying an amp. Both are excellent headphones with very different presentations. The Caldera is much easier to drive vs. Susvara, so a mega amp isnt required.

If you opt for a mega powerful amp for the Susvara read up and ask about how said amp will handle your HD800 and if background noise is an issue.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 11
The Susvara is one of the most difficult headphones in the world to drive properly. Many current headphone amps that have gobs of power were designed with the Susvara and/or the Abyss 1266 in mind.

Some of these powerful amps can add hum when using high sensitivity headphones, so I would suggest deciding upon Susvara or Caldera prior to buying an amp. Both are excellent headphones with very different presentations. The Caldera is much easier to drive vs. Susvara, so a mega amp isnt required.

If you opt for a mega powerful amp for the Susvara read up and ask about how said amp will handle your HD800 and if background noise is an issue.
Agree 100% with Mon-0. The HD800 needs high voltage swing capability from an amplifier; Susvara needs high current swing capability from an amplifier. These two needs are difficult to meet by one amplifier. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jan 7, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 11

Then I think I'll exclude Susa for this time cuz I love HD800 as my daily cans too much. So, HD800, Caldera, and maybe something more dry and technical like HEADD. is it possible to use 1 amp for these?

Jan 7, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 11
HD800, Caldera, and maybe something more dry and technical like HEADD. is it possible to use 1 amp for these?
I havent heard the Heddphone so I cant comment on that, but the HD800 can be rather bright sounding whereas the Caldera is warm. Excellent contrast between the two for sure. Whether or not you can find one amp to slay them all really comes down to personal preferences. If you opt for a warm sounding amp for your HD800 it might be too warm for the Caldera, and vice/versa. Again its about your personal preferences.

Personally, I'd look into tubes for your HD800 and solid state for the Caldera, although the Caldera is killer out of a nice SET tube amp, I just prefer solid state for planar headphones. YMMV.

Jan 7, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 11
I havent heard the Heddphone so I cant comment on that, but the HD800 can be rather bright sounding whereas the Caldera is warm. Excellent contrast between the two for sure. Whether or not you can find one amp to slay them all really comes down to personal preferences. If you opt for a warm sounding amp for your HD800 it might be too warm for the Caldera, and vice/versa. Again its about your personal preferences.

Personally, I'd look into tubes for your HD800 and solid state for the Caldera, although the Caldera is killer out of a nice SET tube amp, I just prefer solid state for planar headphones. YMMV.
As always in this hobby: there is no easy way... I got it, thank you for the input
Any recommendations for SS ? Under the 3000

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #7 of 11
Agree 100% with Mon-0. The HD800 needs high voltage swing capability from an amplifier; Susvara needs high current swing capability from an amplifier. These two needs are difficult to meet by one amplifier. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Why is that? All you need is an amp that’s not current limited with about 7-10x gain.

Jan 7, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 11
As always in this hobby: there is no easy way... I got it, thank you for the input
Any recommendations for SS ? Under the 3000
The Caldera sounds fantastic out of the Cayin IHA6, which can be had for relatively little cash. That being said I'm not crazy about my ZMF dynamics out of it. While I do not own an HD800, it like ZMF dynamics, is a high impedance headphone, which I prefer out of an OTL amp.

I'm actually in the market for a nice solid state amp myself, and I've narrowed my search down to the Violectric v550, v281, or v222. The 550 has a slight warm tilt to it, whereas the 222 is apparently nearly identical sounding to the v281, which leans much warmer vs. the v550.
The problem with the v281 is its discontinued and quite hard to find on the used market, so in that case I'd opt for the v222 if warmth is a priority.

EDIT: I've looked into the Bliss as well, but its still pretty new and not too much about how it pairs with high impedance headphones. I've also been told by someone whose opinion I trust that AGD HE9 is kinda dull sounding with high impedance HPs....

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #9 of 11
With the HD800S and Arya with a Caldera planned later, you can get a iFi Pro iCan Signature and have three gain settings, SS-Tube(Hybrid)-Tube+ settings, and more that you can read about further on their product page:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/pro-ican-signature/

Also, a place around the NL that has some good reviews (no shipping to the UK anymore, though):

https://www.wifimedia.eu/en/ifi-audio-pro-ican-signature.html

Hey, there is a iFi Pro iCan Signature video review with a Hifiman Susvara on top in the video thumbnail:

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #10 of 11
Also, if you are willing to keep up with their production factory in Ukraine, then you can order a Flux Lab Acoustics Volot (someone in my area has this with their Susvara and loves it) and wait a couple of months for the assembly and shipping (it looks like the Volot with Pre-Amp is in stock, so maybe there is not that large of a wait time):

https://fluxlab-acoustics.com/product/volot-dual-mono-class-a-headphone-amplifier/

https://fluxlab-acoustics.com/product/volot-pre-dual-mono-class-a-headphone-amplifier/

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 11
Also, if you are willing to keep up with their production factory in Ukraine, then you can order a Flux Lab Acoustics Volot (someone in my area has this with their Susvara and loves it) and wait a couple of months for the assembly and shipping (it looks like the Volot with Pre-Amp is in stock, so maybe there is not that large of a wait time):

https://fluxlab-acoustics.com/product/volot-dual-mono-class-a-headphone-amplifier/

https://fluxlab-acoustics.com/product/volot-pre-dual-mono-class-a-headphone-amplifier/
16W wow. Looks really promising. Thanks. I know that I'll regret it but I decided to try a tube amp from my list and now trying to find it on a second market.
My plan is to use it now with HD800 and Arya and later add SS and use it just as pre-amp with Susa or MB something else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back