Headphone amp for 16 ohm COP or 80 ohm DT770?
Oct 21, 2016 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

username1

Head-Fier
Hello!

Can anyone please recommend me a cheaper headphone amp ($100) for these lower ohm phones? I'm sure the COP itself doesn't require amp that much, but aiming more for the DT770.
I'm using a separate USB X-Fi 5.1 Surround pro dac with my laptop, so it would be great to use amp which connects to the X-FI 5.1 Pro, but it's not a necessity per se.

I've read about the Fiio K5, but it seems to feature non-compatible power supply cable for the EU market. Or maybe they now feature it in the package?

Thanks for reommending!

Oct 21, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 9
So you do not own the COPS or DT770 and are trying to decide between them?

Cave you check out the 32-Ohm Soundmagic HP150 headphones?

Oct 22, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 9
  I already have the mentioned headphones. I'm just wondering whether amping them does anything besides allowing them to go louder?

A FiiO A3 (E11K) headphone amplifier ($60) would work well with both headphones.
Should be a better headphone amplifier, then whatever is built into the X-Fi.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 9
  Hmm, okay.

Is the E11K just an amp or also dac? I mean it seems to connect by USB. So it doesn't need to be connected to an on-board and/or external sound card?

The A3 (E11K) is amplifier only, no DAC function.
It uses USB for power only.

You would run a cable from your X-Fi's RCA (Left/Right) jacks to the 3.5mm line-input on the A3, for the audio signal.
But connect a USB cable from your computer's USB port, to the USB port on the A3, for power.
The A3 also comes with a built in battery, so it can also be used as a portable headphone amplifier.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 9
Thank you for the clarification.

But the amp itself doesn't come with the necessary RCA cables, right? Have to get them separately?

It's actually a bit bad that it needs to connect via USB, because my external soundcard already connects via USB and i have an older laptop with only 3 USB ports which are all in use unfortunately.

Can you name is some other <$100 amp that doesn't require USB connection? Maybe the FiiO K5? Though i'm not sure whether the K5 itself needs a connection to the soundcard or not. Also it seems from youtube videos that the K5 comes with non-EU compatible power supply. Though i'm not sure whether it's the case anymore.

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 9
It doesn't have to connect via USB to your computer. Plug it in to an iPhone charging brick, or Android, or any one of a number of other devices. It doesn't really even need to be plugged in while you're using it, just to charge.

Oct 22, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 9
Okay. Anyway i ordered the A3. I'm not sure whether it's the best solution for stationary use as i won't be moving it anywhere, but the supposed purpose of this particular amp is portability.

But we'll see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back