Headphone Amp Experts: Recommend a nice can amp for me!!!!
Jan 29, 2013 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

aminorthreat99

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a headphone amp. Right now all I have are some sennheiser hd380 pros. 

I have tried to the rega EAR out and it is a piece of garbage. The volume knob slips around on the metal shaft inside, super bright, REGA loga is half lit up....

Sound path:
wireworld starlight usb (from gaming rig)
musical fidelity vdac II
wireworld oasis 6 interconnects
rega brio-r (with venom 3 power cable)
wireworld luna 6 (from record out on brio r)
headphone amp???

I want a headphone amp that will:

-have enough power to push most headphones on the market (upper end Senneheisers 518s-650s, lower end grados, hifiman400)
-sound on the warm side, I'm not looking for treble that makes small infants cry
-solid build quality (not like the rega EAR)
-small enough to fit on top of my rega brio-r (if that is acceptable)
-preferably using a normal power cord instead of a walwart 
-under $400US (around $200 is preferred)
-don't care if it is tubed or solid state (just want a warm sound again)

I have looked at the little dot mk III. I like it I just don't know how it sounds. I really want to be able to try the amps before I buy them.
I've looked at the schiit audio asgard (heard it hums and is noisy)

If you guys would be so kind to recommend a headphone amp I would greatly appreciate it. I will most likely purchase the hifiman400 cans. 

Thanks

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 5
I've used the Little Dot 1+ with grado's, HE400's and my old senn 558s, and they seem quite good with all of them.

Can be picked up for a little over $100 and you can spend a bit on some nice tubes (i use sylvania gold 408A) and can even replace the opamps (i swapped mine to opa627) for a really nice warm tube sound.

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 5
I have recommended it a few times today but I have found the Bottle head Crack to be my favourite sub $500 amp ($279 from the bottle head website), although it is a DIY amp, its really fun to build! Also it definitely does not have any treble harshness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back