Headphone amp, Dap, dock & headphone recommendations
Nov 2, 2022 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

badash

New Head-Fier
I just got some Sony IER-M7's the M9 seemed to pricey for me now since I usually prefer using my home system. Anyways I tried them connected to my iPhone 13 pro max and it sounds terrible. I am a technical person but could use some recommendation based on the sound I like and the situation I want to use the components with. I saw the cayin n8 has a tube/solid state option that would be cool to have. Not 100% on budget yet depends on the price/performance I can find but probably under 2k. Prefer no buggy unsupported software from obscure brands. I prefer natural balanced accurate sound not too much treble or bass. I had some Seinnheiser headphones before that fell apart so... as far as over the ear would prefer something else. I assume a headphone amp is better than a Dap but by how much I don't know. A Mcintosh Dap would be cool :) I appreciate any help, Thanks!

1. I want something at my desk for the M7's and probably some over ear headphones I will decide on later, Dap/Headphone Amp? I don't think using my smartphone will get the best sound so something dedicated would be better. I am into stuff that lasts me a long time. I read here somewhere that the Sony daps don't work well with the Sony IER's.
2. For a Dap I would like to move it to the living room and dock it with my home system which is a Denon AVR and B&W 804 D3 home theatre or if affordable something separate. And useable with a car stereo.
3. Streaming & bluetooth capability (but I won't be using it now)
4. Over the ear headphones to check out for a later purchase-under $500 after being on a sale etc

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 4
unless slight differences are enough to ruin sound for you or something is very wrong with your dongle, I wouldn't expect that any quality of DAP or amp is going to make the IER-M7 sound not terrible to you

(I say this based on my experience with m9 and various quality sources, not the m7 or iPhone dongle so I'm possibly way off base, but the iDongle has a decent reputation as a source AFAIK)

personally would first experiment with fit by trying different tip sizes/insertion depths (and with the IER series maybe a wider bore aftermarket tip like the jvc spiral dots which are popular with M9 users and brighten up sound a bit relative to narrow bore tips like Sony's)

along with that try using an equalizer to dial in the signature - even if the result is ultimately dissatisfactory it might help give an idea of what exactly you are looking for in terms of tonal balance/frequency response ( a description of what you particularly dislike in the M7 may also help others make pertinent recommendations)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 4
Well it seems underpowered, it has tons of bass, some mids, almost no treble and volume is low. It seems you have to set the volume near max and it still isn't enough. As the volume gets louder you can start to hear the mids and treble a little more but they are still drowned out by the bass. I will try another dongle also.

Nov 2, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 4
OK that makes more sense if it is a volume issue.

I think the wide bore tip idea might be worth a try as the narrow bore tends to attenuate treble increasing perceived bass (another way to decrease bass is a "front vent" mod such as inserting a small lengthwise spacer between the tip and the nozzle to create an air gap)

But AFAIK the M7 are reputed (and measure) as fairly dark sounding IEM so these might not get you where you want.

(Some IER users also have an issue with a "vacuum seal" effect which can lead to a congested sound as well)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back