Headphone Amp, DAC, PC questions.
Feb 18, 2018 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ryaneagon

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I use a windows PC, using the digital out (optical PCM) To a pretty good A/V Receiver, the receiver is using a really good external AMP. Audio is played from this computer source.

I’m looking to add a headphone amplifier to drive some 300ohm cans, not looking a spending a bunch of $ right off the bat, mostl likely a Schiit Magni 3 and/or Magni3 with a Modi 2.

Looks like I have a couple options.

1st- Just get a headphone amp, (magni 3) and use my receivers tape output (RCA) to the headphone amp. Done.

2nd – Get a DAC and Amp (modi 2 and magni 3) Using the DAC to replace my PC audio card, from the DAC to the headphone AMP (RCA), then using the Magni 3 preouts to an input on my receiver.

Question, will I benefit by getting a DAC for my PC or is the optical out from the PC to the receiver as good.

Last.

I assume the second question is how I would use the DAC and amp combo to get sound into my receiver correct. Apologies If this has been covered many times, I’m new to PC/headphone audio.

Feb 19, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 10
Do you already own these 300-Ohm headphones (make and model)?
What is the make and model of the A/V receiver?

Currently my thinking is to just run S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) to the A/V receiver and plug the headphones into the receiver.

Feb 22, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 10
I am not sure if this is fair to say, but in this hobby, most (if not all) PC sound card is not that great compared to a dedicated DAC.
Are you taking about a sound card equal in price to a DAC, or comparing a sound card to lets say a DAC that costs 3 times as much as a sound card?

Feb 22, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 10
Are you taking about a sound card equal in price to a DAC, or comparing a sound card to lets say a DAC that costs 3 times as much as a sound card?

I refered to the "more expensive" DAC. I think you would agree that we get what we paid for. I think it would be entirely possible that a dedicated high-end PC sound card will sound good. However, most of PC buyers do not care that much about sound quality.

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 10
Hi I use a windows PC, using the digital out (optical PCM) To a pretty good A/V Receiver, the receiver is using a really good external AMP. Audio is played from this computer source.

I’m looking to add a headphone amplifier to drive some 300ohm cans, not looking a spending a bunch of $ right off the bat, mostl likely a Schiit Magni 3 and/or Magni3 with a Modi 2.

Looks like I have a couple options.

1st- Just get a headphone amp, (magni 3) and use my receivers tape output (RCA) to the headphone amp. Done.

2nd – Get a DAC and Amp (modi 2 and magni 3) Using the DAC to replace my PC audio card, from the DAC to the headphone AMP (RCA), then using the Magni 3 preouts to an input on my receiver.

Question, will I benefit by getting a DAC for my PC or is the optical out from the PC to the receiver as good.

Last.

I assume the second question is how I would use the DAC and amp combo to get sound into my receiver correct. Apologies If this has been covered many times, I’m new to PC/headphone audio.

I would avoid the PCM stream either optical or coaxial. You would be much better off with an USB based audio interface that has a built-in DAC and headphone amp. Those things are made for musicians to record and monitor their music, so the quality is pretty damn good. You could then use the USB interface to connect to your receiver through the analog inputs if you wanted to listen to the music over your main speakers. You would be bypassing the receiver's DAC

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 10
I would avoid the PCM stream either optical or coaxial. You would be much better off with an USB based audio interface that has a built-in DAC and headphone amp. Those things are made for musicians to record and monitor their music, so the quality is pretty damn good. You could then use the USB interface to connect to your receiver through the analog inputs if you wanted to listen to the music over your main speakers. You would be bypassing the receiver's DAC

Will the DAC pass 24bit 96/192 audio?

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #9 of 10
Depends on the DAC, but mostly they do unless you buy the very cheapest.

Thanks for you input. Hookup: out of the iMac, into the Jotunheim via usb, out of the Jotunheim into the Loki - 4band EQ (via RCA) out of the Loki directly into my speaker power amp (via RCA)...I'd like to be able to EQ both headphones and speakers.
No more need for my receiver. :)

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 10
Why not use software based EQ? I would keep the EQ in the digital domain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back