Headphone + amp + DAC for around $1000
Nov 4, 2013 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

Peddi135

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, 

I'm a new member here at Head-Fi, even though I've read many reviews about headphones, amps and DACs, I still havent really found "the answer". 

I'm looking to buy an over the ear headphone (either open or closed) + an amp (tube or solid state) + a DAC that makes a great combination, all for around $1000, or maybe just a little bit over. 

I should say that I listen to all kinds of music such as pop, rap, jazz, trance and ect.

What do you guys recommend/think?!? any help is much appreciated.

Thanks 

Nov 4, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 73
I'm a bang for the buck sort of guy.  If I have $1k to spend and I want open, I'm probably going with:

Headphones: Hifiman HE-500 ($700, but you might be able to do slightly better from razordog or ttvj)
Amp: Schiit Asgard 2 ($250)
DAC: Schiit Modi ($100)

You're probably not doing better than the $350 on the Schiit stuff (unless you go used)... TTVJ periodically has a special on the HE-500 for $630 and I got mine for $550 from Razor Dog a mnoth or so ago when they first started carrying them.  So if you get a deal, that's $630 + $250 + 100 = $980.

The place to focus on are the headphones you want and then go from there.  How much are you willing to go over if you're getting a deal?

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 73
I'd say same as above... But perhaps pick the emotiva mini-x over the asgard 2, I think it'll give you better sound for your money.
I'll think about other options, but I think above is a good and balanced way to spend a grand on a setup regarding the amount of money going into the individual components. Great bang for the buck components as well.

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 73
I thought about that... but the problem then is you still need to acquire a cable to hook up the cans to the Mini-X, and that's added effort and expense.  I'd not be against that, but with that caveat.

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 73
  I thought about that... but the problem then is you still need to acquire a cable to hook up the cans to the Mini-X, and that's added effort and expense.  I'd not be against that, but with that caveat.

You'd just need an adapter. Doesn't cost much at all, though perhaps not easy to find. If you can do just a little soldering it is no hassle at all.
Else, you can get it custom made. Shouldn't cost that much.

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 73
Hiya, welcome to headfi.
You could consider Alpha dogs.

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #7 of 73
Thanks for that reply, sounds like a good set up.

I've read about the HE-500, and I was afraid it would lack A LITTLE presence and impact? not sure..

I don't really mind going used, would you recommend differently going used? as for the budget, I think my maximum spending would be around $1200-$1300..

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #9 of 73

I'll look into them for sure. thanks. is there an amp and a dac you would recommend with it?

according to this review, http://www.head-fi.org/t/686489/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-review-and-comparison-with-hd600-and-k701
O2/ODAC works well with alpha dogs.

I guess, the combination of modi/asgard also would work.

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #10 of 73
Thanks for that reply, sounds like a good set up.

I've read about the HE-500, and I was afraid it would lack A LITTLE presence and impact? not sure..

I don't really mind going used, would you recommend differently going used? as for the budget, I think my maximum spending would be around $1200-$1300..

Depends. I don't know much about your tastes, sound preference and so on. But sure, I could come up with other recommendations

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 73
@ OP, could you tell us about your current set up, such as headphones, amp/dac.
If you live in the US, you could attend the head fi meet to try different headphones and then decide which phone to buy.

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #12 of 73
  @ OP, could you tell us about your current set up, such as headphones, amp/dac.
If you live in the US, you could attend the head fi meet to try different headphones and then decide which phone to buy.

I've owned a sennheiser HD280 pro as my over head, and v-sonic gr07 bass edition as my earphones. never owned an amp or a dac. 

I like a balanced sound, but not completely neutral. I would like the headphones to have impactful bass, smooth mids (especially for vocals), and clear highs. I know this might be too much to ask for my budget, but I just wanna get the best deal! I should say that this set up will have to do for a few years probably... I'm a student and arent looking for a collection or anything lol. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 73

according to this review, http://www.head-fi.org/t/686489/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-review-and-comparison-with-hd600-and-k701
O2/ODAC works well with alpha dogs.

I guess, the combination of modi/asgard also would work.

Thanks for this suggestion, definitely a good option for closed back if I decide to go that way!

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 73
I think the HE-500 is a very good choice then. Good bass, lush mids and silky highs, albeit not recessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back