Headphone + amp + DAC for around $1000
Dec 18, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #61 of 73
SO I finally received everything. I got the HE500, with emotiva mini x, a banana plug adapter from brian goto, with a modi. I set everything up, and as soon as I start listening to music I head a crackling/popping sound in all my songs. I put my old headphones on, same problem! This is depressing I was waiting for all these things for a month and now its like this. I have no idea what it could be, any ideas? 

Dec 18, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #62 of 73
  SO I finally received everything. I got the HE500, with emotiva mini x, a banana plug adapter from brian goto, with a modi. I set everything up, and as soon as I start listening to music I head a crackling/popping sound in all my songs. I put my old headphones on, same problem! This is depressing I was waiting for all these things for a month and now its like this. I have no idea what it could be, any ideas? 

Maybe the better audio equipment is showing the imperfections in the audio recordings?

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #63 of 73
Can you tell more about the issue?

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #64 of 73
OK so after staying up all night pulling my hair out, I found some things out. but before that let me describe some details about the problem. 

I start listening to a song, and I hear small pops and cracks while im listening to the music. its very hard to explain but thats exactly what it is, cracks and pops (some times like bubble wrap pops) in the music. 

What I found out: 

When I close all my programs and I play music, its almost completely fine. but as soon as I open a browser or something, it start happening way too often for me to even be close to enjoying the music. What I'm thinking is that this could possibly be due to my computers sound card. But I thought that when I connect the DAC the sound signal should skip my on board sound card and go directly to the DAC? (as I connected the modi it installed itself, and its light is on). I'm still really not sure what it could be !!! going crazy lol. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #66 of 73
Try something like asio or wasabi in foobar. If that doesn't work try changing the buffer settings.

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #67 of 73
Have you tried on a different usb port? 

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #68 of 73
have you tried in different computer?

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #69 of 73
I think it's just your computer's processor being busy, not necessarily a soundcard issue. In any case, you've figured out how to avoid it, so just don't have other programs running while you're listening to music. You might also want to clean up your background processes, and set your computer to high performance if you are on a laptop.

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #70 of 73
  I think it's just your computer's processor being busy, not necessarily a soundcard issue. In any case, you've figured out how to avoid it, so just don't have other programs running while you're listening to music. You might also want to clean up your background processes, and set your computer to high performance if you are on a laptop.

OK so after staying up all night pulling my hair out, I found some things out. but before that let me describe some details about the problem. 

I start listening to a song, and I hear small pops and cracks while im listening to the music. its very hard to explain but thats exactly what it is, cracks and pops (some times like bubble wrap pops) in the music. 

What I found out: 

When I close all my programs and I play music, its almost completely fine. but as soon as I open a browser or something, it start happening way too often for me to even be close to enjoying the music. What I'm thinking is that this could possibly be due to my computers sound card. But I thought that when I connect the DAC the sound signal should skip my on board sound card and go directly to the DAC? (as I connected the modi it installed itself, and its light is on). I'm still really not sure what it could be !!! going crazy lol. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks. 

It's called latency

or simply put lagg, your processor is having a hard time processing the music and everything in teh back ground so what you'r getting is audbile latency spikes. Which are the result of your processor struggleing to process the music in real time 

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Download that, it is a latency checker. It will show you real time spikes and when you see a BIG red or yellow SPIKE you will more than likely also hear an audible spike or crackle like what your hearing now when you see those spikes. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #71 of 73

It's called latency

or simply put lagg, your processor is having a hard time processing the music and everything in teh back ground so what you'r getting is audbile latency spikes. Which are the result of your processor struggleing to process the music in real time 

Download that, it is a latency checker. It will show you real time spikes and when you see a BIG red or yellow SPIKE you will more than likely also hear an audible spike or crackle like what your hearing now when you see those spikes. 

that sounds right... yea I see yellow and red spikes. 

This sucks. My laptop isnt even that bad, its an i5 4 gig of ram samsung, it happens on high performance too. I didnt know this could possibly happen, so bummed out. 

feel like there should be awareness out there for this! 

I cant just not use my computer and just sit there and do nothing while listening to music, that take the entire point away. 

Just really disappointing...

Thanks though, everyone :frowning2:

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #72 of 73

It's called latency

how come this problem doesnt exist with my regular headphones and speakers. isnt the computer processing the sound just the same. if anything when its not connect to the DAC, the computer is doing extra work since its soundcard is also working. does my new set up make my computer do more work? or is it that the new audio setup is just able to show the latency? (hard to believe since its not subtle AT ALL) :frowning2:

Dec 20, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #73 of 73
it could b an issue with the dac or the drivers usef by the Dac. Contact the manufactor for ur device it may b faulty. Also (sad to say) some anti malware n spy ware software create a lot of latency. There could b some bizzare conflict with the dac n the anti virus

Still use that program to isolate the one object creating those latency spikes. The issue could also b with the soft ware ur using to play ur music. Could b a conflict with thr dac driver n that progrwm :/

i only know all of this from personal experince... so hopefuy we can solve this problem fstr together , than i did alone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back