headphone amp / dac combo
Dec 8, 2006 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

terriblepaulz

1000+ Head-Fier
Can any of you experienced and knowledgable 'fi-ers give me a list of amp/dac combos like the Total Bithead (T.B.). I want to upgrade a little from the PA2V2 and I could use the versatility of the T.B. I have heard some criticism of the quality of the T.B. as an amp, but I think it would be an upgrade from the PA2V2. Am I wrong on that? Are there any other products I should look at?

P.S. One appeal of the T.B. is its price - I am definitely on a budget.

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 9
There's the Meier Audio Porta Corda Mk III-USB? I am a big fan of Meier amps - never had the USB version but the PCIII is a great portable amp.

Dec 9, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's the Meier Audio Porta Corda Mk III-USB? I am a big fan of Meier amps - never had the USB version but the PCIII is a great portable amp.

OH yes! the USB version is sweet
eggosmile.gif
...listening to it with DT-880 now. Not cheap, but sweet.

Dec 9, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 9
In response to blessingx - budget is in line with the Total Bithead ($200), but I may go as high as $400 for the right product.

Dec 9, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 9
If you're going as high as $400, I'd definitely recommend the Corda Aria. They pop up pretty frequently on the For sale threads for less than $400. Ive had mine for about a year and I can say thats its a great, high quality, excellent sounding Amp/DAC combo.

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 9
As far as teh TBH goes, it is an upgrade in sound vs. the PA2V2. I found it to have more detail and clarity, with less background hiss at high volumes (during quiet parts of the music).

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're going as high as $400, I'd definitely recommend the Corda Aria. They pop up pretty frequently on the For sale threads for less than $400. Ive had mine for about a year and I can say thats its a great, high quality, excellent sounding Amp/DAC combo.

X2! No doubt if you can afford it, the Aria is a huge winner here if you don't need portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back